neiloxford

Linn Majik 140 vs Keilidh

Hi,

I have an Akurate DSM with a 5125 dynamik amp. Wondering if it is worth upgrading from the keilidh to 140's or keep saving for the katalyst upgrade on the DSM ?

Thanks Neil

IMHO 

Keilidh (my first speakers) to 140 (my actual speakers) = big improvment

ADSM (my current player) to Katalyst = Huge improvment especially if you are going exakt, which is my case. But then you would need to add amps as well

As always best would be a home/shop demo

Interesting question .. I went from Keilidh to M140. And yes this is a better speaker. the AV5125 / D would run it nicely. For clarity, I have never been able to compare it 1 to 1. Are your Keilidhs aktiv? Can't comment on the Katalyst. 

Very interesting for me as well. After my damaged keilidhs and being able to find a pair of very inexpensive Kabers (a lot of people warned me that it’s a hard to drive speaker, lacks bass compared to the keilidhs etc etc) I so preferred the Kabers over the keilidhs.

I’ve not heard the 140’s but at $2500-3000 new i’d rather look into Akurate 242’s but those need even more powerful amps. I never found the 140’s to be a good looking speaker but that’s always the second important point after performance.

My Kabers are now aktiv with Akurate level amps and I think they sound fantastic. My brother who took over my keilidhs is running them passive but I wish I had heard the keilidhs aktiv.

I do remember someone out here who is running Akurate/Klimax level source and amps but still runs them through his exakt keilidhs.

ADSM (my current player) to Katalyst = Huge improvment especially if you are going exakt,

If you're eventually going exakt, converting your ADSM to Katalyst will ultimately be a waste of money.

• Like 2

Get Katalyst for your ADSM, it's a game changer! One of my best upgrades ever.

I heard M140s passive at a dealers early this year with a Linn amp but cannot remember the model. Boy, they sounded dull! I had 3 x LK amps aktivly powering Keilidhs and in comparison, bopped along much better. 

Have since upgraded to Akurate Systemhub with Exactbox Katalist and boy, do my Keilidhs sing now! Deep, powerful bass, stunning stereo, and clear top end via 38/2 tweeters. I can only await Kudos speakers..

To answer the Neils question, get Katalist first, then review the amps before swapping any speakers, BUT, going Exakt with a Systemhub-I (Katalist now built into it as standard and with amps built in) is also a very serious route which will convert your Keilidhs to Aktiv Exact, thereby trade in your 5125. it will be again great improvement. Just consider where you want to be and what you need.  Keilidhs are good at highlighting improvements made further back up the system..

Edited by stupra
Additional text added

I've had both (passive) and compared them back to back on a couple of systems. Very different speakers, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Can't say I'd leap at M140s again so the source upgrade would be my preference too.

Edited by Trunkmonkey

Thanks, will keep the keilidh for now. I picked up some Aktiv cards for the 5125 on eBay so that will be a nice upgrade for now, and keep saving.

i had not seen the akurate exaktbox-I with katalyst. Would it be much better than a katalyst dsm to Aktiv 5125/d or just different ? It’s a lot of extra money for that upgrade.

Thanks, will keep the keilidh for now. I picked up some Aktiv cards for the 5125 on eBay so that will be a nice upgrade for now, and keep saving.

i had not seen the akurate exaktbox-I with katalyst. Would it be much better than a katalyst dsm to Aktiv 5125/d or just different ? It’s a lot of extra money for that upgrade.

From what I understand you need katalyst at the last component in an exakt chain so if you just got the katalyst upgrade on your dsm it would be a waste of money to get the akurate exaktbox-I.

So maybe before you decide if you wanna go the exakt Route do some auditions. I’m sure your dealer can lend you a ADSM/katalyst and an exaktbox-I (katalyst). Here the advantage is your getting exakt too and the aktiv cards won’t be needed in the amp anymore. Exakt has digital filters which are downloaded so if you change speakers that are exakt compatible you don’t have to go and buy new cards. But the question is if you like the exakt sound.

Then try your dsm with the exaktbox-I versus the adsm(k) with your aktiv setup. Cheaper option. No exakt and you keep the cards in your existing amps.

I maybe wrong in my understanding so pls feel free to correct my statements if I’m wrong.

The Akurate Exaktbox-I always have katalyst, if you buy a new one. The Majik exaktbox-I changed the name to Akurat exaktbox-I when it went katalyst. So you cant buy a Akurate Exaktbox-I without katalyst, but you can buy a Majik Exaktbox-I and then upgrade it to katalyst, i did :) 

If you're eventually going exakt, converting your ADSM to Katalyst will ultimately be a waste of money.

My bad I was not clear

I have exaktbox katalyst. 

Would it be much better than a katalyst dsm to Aktiv 5125/d or just different ? It’s a lot of extra money for that upgrade.

Exakt is a different beast to Activ. So a Katalyst upgrade to your DSM using active cards will be cheaper. The Exaktbox-i is not only Katalyst but has Exakt digital corssovers as well as 8 on board amps. So it's not just an upgrade really - it's a box full of lots of tricks.

• Like 1

I went from aktiv keilidhs to aktiv M140s and it was a huge leap. Used M140s are trading low these day , at least in Canada . I strongly recommend the upgrade metal bases. It is really remarkable what these hunks of metal did for Bass extension.