TheFlash

2-for-1: using an integrated also as a pre? (ref Sugden, Pass, etc)

Thanks, kind of you, will investigate and let you know.

I havn't ruled out an integrated entirely but am leaning towards separate power and pre. I don't want to experiment with various options for pre and power amps at the same time as the number of permutations will quickly do my head in. So I will fix one variable.

I am tempted to choose my Class A power amp first: solid state and most likely a Sugden, Pass or Pass clone I think.

And then pick a pre. This will be constrained by inputs (I need five pairs, ideally at least one of them balanced), gain (compatibility with power amp) and of course the voice/tonality I seek. Too many options in broad terms but I suspect the number of inputs will rule some otherwise attractive options out. I haven't decided between solid state and tube or between passive and active.

I'm off to explore power amps. While I'm gone you boys can do that sweetshop window daydreaming thing you do so well! ;)

Talking about compatibility. Best to double check the pre’s output impedance under load against the power’s input impedance.

My SLP-05’s output impedance ranged from 1.5k to 3.4k (despite the manufacturer’s claim of 400 ohms). I wanted the FLS4 but the input impedance was 7k. Hence had to settle for the FLS10 which has a much higher input impedance.

Was fortunate time see Stereophile’s review.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Talking about compatibility. Best to double check the pre’s output impedance under load against the power’s input impedance.

My SLP-05’s output impedance ranged from 1.5k to 3.4k (despite the manufacturer’s claim of 400 ohms). I wanted the FLS4 but the input impedance was 7k. Hence had to settle for the FLS10 which has a much higher input impedance.

Was fortunate time see Stereophile’s review.

Thanks. Yes, I was stuck on "gain" because of another recent conversation, I meant impedance of course. :roll:

Super Wammer

A couple or so years ago I purchased a Sugden A21l s2 to compare against my Audion Sterling Integrated and concluded that there was not a lot to choose between the two. However when I used the Sugden as a pre into the Audion there was a marked improvement over solely using either as an integrated. 

From here I decided to purchase  a quality preamp, a Lavardin C42 to use with the Audion and there was a significant improvement; needless to say the Sugden was surplus to requirements. 

Pleased to hear someone else thinking likewise.

I use my Denon PMA-850 as a Pre into my Pass F5 power. The Denon is excellent as an integrated but has a cracking, 3 input (2 MM & a surprisingly good MC) self adjusting phono stage and all the bells and whistles you could ever need. 

It sounds fantastic through the F5, not necessarily better, just a presentation that works perfectly for me.

The only downside is having 2 massive boxes to house.

Edited by Idlewithnodrive

Once used my Rega elex r as a pre with a Primare a 34.2 power amp.The Elex r sounded better on it,s own.

Great preamp for sale on ebay  only three inputs (plus one set of balanced inputs) and balanced out  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opera-Consonance-Reference-1-3-TVC-preamplifier-RCA-balanced-outputs/202819343831?hash=item2f38f995d7:g:29EAAOSwTvNdraNR