Sign in to follow this  
Leonard Smalls

Zu speakers

Anybody heard these beasties? Either the Druid (<£2k), or the Definition (£6.5k).

The Definitions are 101dB efficient (!), and have a frequency range of 16Hz (thanks to 4X15" speakers....) - 25KHz, and have a minimal crossover (for above 13KHz).

Too good to be true? Or the Dog's?

hero.jpg

Haven't heard them but Hifi-World did a review of the Druids a few months ago, liked them subjectively but the technical review said sensitivity was closer to 91dbW (way off the claims)and bass output stopped at about 100Hz.

There's a guy on pinkfish, think he's in Sweden or Norway,uses them with a Bel Canto Power amp, he likes them but these figures make me think they'll be an acquired taste.

Six Moons like them both - they said solid 40Hz for the Druids, and 16Hz for the Definitions - apparantly they work on some sort of back pressure principal, like a motorcycle exhaust:

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/zu2/definition.html

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/zu/druid.html

Guest purplepleaser

Hi,

I heard these at the recent Manchester show. If i remember correctly the speakers had just one main driver and a tweeter.They did sound good. Was not playing anything to testing at the time i was in the room.I did not listen very long but could be one to audition for me. I did not like the black finish though.

AK,or Mr.c may give more of an input.

Lee

what's that knob on the bottom?

looks like something you find on a barbeque to let more air and so burn hotter.

purplepleaser wrote:

AK,or Mr.c may give more of an input.

Lee

to busy talking to Mr C never heard them

Guest earl of sodbury

Suspect the one in the middle is a powered sub to boost the bass.

earl of sodbury wrote:

No, that's the Definition rear view... 4x15" drivers, plus class D amp to power them, hence the sensitivity!!

And I think the 10.3" driver in the Druids (and 2 in the Definition)are "proprietry, from the ground up", so presumably in house..

Shame the only dealer is in St. Neots. Bit of a cross-country hike from here on the off-chance..

Edit: just checked their website (http://www.zucable.com/definition/specifications.html) and it's 4x10" drivers on the back.. It gives max SPL as 130dB!!!

Guest earl of sodbury

Leonard Smalls wrote:

earl of sodbury wrote:

No, that's the Definition rear view... 4x15" drivers, plus class D amp to power them, hence the sensitivity!!

And I think the 10.3" driver in the Druids (and 2 in the Definition)are "proprietry, from the ground up", so presumably in house..

Shame the only dealer is in St. Neots. Bit of a cross-country hike from here on the off-chance..

Cool, they're not feckin' about, are they?

Leonard Smalls wrote:
earl of sodbury wrote:

Not http://www.hifidelityaudio.co.uk ? :roll:

Davewhityetagain wrote:

That's the one...

Hifi World Jan 2006 Issue p45 review of the Zu Druid.

Channa Vithana:

"Both bass extension and more complex bass dexterity were skillfully enunciated by the Druids"

"I can confirm the Druids very fine subjective bass extension and dexterity..."

Noel Keywood: (measured performance section on same page)

"The Zu's output stops fairly suddenly at 100Hz, a limit bettered by even mini loudspeakers these days. It has no deep bass..."

"...absence of bass resulted in an unspectacular sensitivity figure of 90dB being recorded..."

"...output falls steadily toward high frequencies, shelving to -5db down at 3kHz..."

Doesn't add up does it? Does this just show that magazines are indeed total bollocks?

It would be interesting to hear these speakers but if the Druids are as limited bandwidth as NK says then I doubt they would be for me.