Tim F

Cheap versus expensive dacs

Oh I LOVE this post! I've picked out a few key points. WAsn't analogue just full or distortion? and this Mola DAC is as good as that? A distorted sound? Amazing!

https://www.puriteaudio.co.uk/single-post/2018/12/06/Mola-Mola-Tambaqui

Mola-Mola's new stand alone Tambaqui Dac arrives next week, Andy Baker the UK Mola distributor did tell me what Tambaqui means but I have forgotten.

When Purité Audo retailed Mola the first time around this was the product that I really wanted to hear, development literally took years.

Designed by bruno Putzeys and bart Van Lamm the Mola dac is meant to be the cat's pyjamas the very best you can have.

Molas preamp the makua was completely transparent and the Hypex, Ncore based power amps the 'Kalugas' were amongst the finest I have used

https://www.mola-mola.nl/

Mola claim 'digital as good as analogue' well I hope it is better than that!

https://www.mola-mola.nl/tambaqui.php

Super Dealer

I am sure someone here will be kind enough to explain the methodology to you.

Keith

Level matched and unsighted. Would be great if Serge could oversee fair experiment design and implementation, if he’s up for it. 

To be really honest...there is a guy in India in my home town who designs and builds his own gear. He does have a very unknown brand name by innovation audio. And he designs stuff that will kick anything. For instance his audio innovation power conditioner totally wipes the floor with me isotek evo3 Polaris. And his dac, though huge and heavy, is the  best I have ever heard. His stuff is expensive as it is a one man operation, but what I fail to understand is that, all these expensive companies with full time engineers are unable to do, what this singular chap is doing . My next dac is definitely from him.  No big brand marketing or dealer margins :)

Super Dealer

Serge or ‘Pluto’ both really know their stuff, one year he ran an unsighted comparison on bit depth ?

Very interesting.

Keith

I am sure someone here will be kind enough to explain the methodology to you.

Keith

Oh, you don't know? Got it.

Ode on a Grecian Urn

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
 Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."

:geek:

And what's a Grecian urn...? About 10 Bob a week... :D

:run:

• Haha 1

Serge or ‘Pluto’ both really know their stuff, one year he ran an unsighted comparison on bit depth ?

Very interesting.

Keith

I for one would be genuinely interested in an unsighted, level matched comparison between DACs at a variety of price points, overseen by a suitably qualified forum member who would fancy doing it.  This topic reoccurs time and time again on the forum and a practical exploration witnessed by the gathered faithful at Kegworth might be informative, if we can make it happen..?

• Upvote 1

Very interesting.

Keith

Speaking honestly, and hopefully as a friendly long termer, does anyone worry about that sort of thing when listening to their favourite music?

I listen at everything from 50db to 100db and the music has to sound captivating and emotionally stimulating at all of those levels. Whether one DAC sounds more impressive at 1bd lower than another is so utterly irrelevant IMHO to enjoying music.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Speaking honestly, and hopefully as a friendly long termer, does anyone worry about that sort of thing when listening to their favourite music?

I listen at everything from 50db to 100db and the music has to sound captivating and emotionally stimulating at all of those levels. Whether one DAC sounds more impressive at 1bd lower than another is so utterly irrelevant IMHO to enjoying music.

I’m inclined to agree there.  If a bit louder was always better, we’d all just tweak the volume instead of upgrading. 

I appreciate that if switching quickly it’s unhelpful if there is a volume difference as louder will tend to seem better.  That’s why all those cable demos have ten identical tracks on one CD, each louder by 1dB - ooops, I didn’t mean to get sidetracked!

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 1

Micheal, my point here is here that there have been a series of threads, with largely the same protagonists, making essentially the same arguments over and over with little resolution. Perhaps a practical exploration of the perceived differences between DACs at the forum's annual meeting might offer some practical insight and be of interest to forum members?

My Xiang Sheng 05 sounds great😜

Yours for ... Something that measures great... No chance

i ain't even put the WE valve in it yet. Even more distortion to enjoy😜

Edited by Tony_J
Language

Super Wammer

Micheal, my point here is here that there have been a series of threads, with largely the same protagonists, making essentially the same arguments over and over with little resolution. Perhaps a practical exploration of the perceived differences between DACs at the forum's annual meeting might offer some practical insight and be of interest to forum members?

Are you volunteering to organise this?

:cafe:

Super Wammer

:) No basically, I'm trying to gauge whether the "source first" mentality in terms of spending continues post turntables in 2019.

Yes, it absolutely should.  Rubbish in, rubbish out.  However, don't confuse that with the level of spending.  Source first is about capability, not cost.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1