Tim F

What do you think of Focal?

I just bought a pair of Focal 706 and currently running them in. I couldn't believe how difficult it was to remove the terminal post caps. I ended up having to drill holes in them to lever them out with a screwdriver. Never seen anything like it!

I had Chorus 705V and Aria 905. I can not stand bright speakers and they were just fine. I believe that 705V was one of the best values in their category. When the 705 (without V) came out I was hoping that will be a potential upgrade. Unfortunately they were too bright although they were supposed to have much improved tweeter with much less distortion.

The Aria 905 was a clear improvement over the 705V - very smooth and refined. Both sounded very nice with NAD 3020D and Bluesound Powernode 2. I was briefly using Aria with Brio, current model, and was deeply disappointed. They were sounding fine at low levels. Any time time there was a louder passage or more bass or any demand for more energy, Brio simply could not deliver. The situation changed completely when I switched to Powernode 2. All the energy needed was there  and the bass was well controlled and defined.

I had a very long listening session with Aria 906 and they sound even better than the Aria 905 but they are too large for my room

All I can add positively is that the Focal Be Tweeter is a very fine HF drive unit.

The rest of the advice you get, in all honesty, is no more useful than that.

I use the Aria 906 with a Marantz 6005 amplifier and have always been very happy with the result.
Though to be fair, it is my first setup and I have not heard many other setups. When I bought them I found them much more lively then the B&W 685s2, which I found very dull in comparison.
Bass for a speaker that modest is good as well!

I’ve had my Focal Chorus 826v a good few years now, and I can understand how some can find the tweeter a bit bright as I have experienced it a few times at low volume. 

I played around with positioning and using the spikes I put a small amount of tilt backwards on them.  This has given great results. 

The tweeter covers also make a difference when removed.  

Im very happy with my Focals. They go well with Marantz. 

All I can add positively is that the Focal Be Tweeter is a very fine HF drive unit.

The rest of the advice you get, in all honesty, is no more useful than that.

Really?  For me, those Be tweeters are like having someone go at your ears with a hammer drill tuned to ultrasonic.

Never heard Focals that I didn't immediately hate.  Same for naim - they deserve each other.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I do like the focal kanta 3’s sadly not in my price range

Really?  For me, those Be tweeters are like having someone go at your ears with a hammer drill tuned to ultrasonic.

Never heard Focals that I didn't immediately hate.  Same for naim - they deserve each other.

Just goes to show how different we all are when it comes to hearing. I'm guessing you are younger than me. It, being, BE, lacks any form of distortion in the real world so the only reason you would dislike the BE version is if Focal under specced the bottom end and/or the midrange. 

I'm assuming you are referring to the BE focal unit. What speaker did you listen to?

Edit, summat weird happened on Tapatalk, will repost later from my computer

Just goes to show how different we all are when it comes to hearing. I'm guessing you are younger than me. It, being, BE, lacks any form of distortion in the real world so the only reason you would dislike the BE version is if Focal under specced the bottom end and/or the midrange. 

I'm assuming you are referring to the BE focal unit. What speaker did you listen to?

I have listened to most of the Utopia range over the years.  I find them very harsh and bright-sounding, which I have always assumed was down to the tweeters.  My hearing isn't great, I can't hear anything above 12 kHz!

Thanks. I think it just shows how we all hear differently - stuff the measurements that some talk about. We need to listen with our ears. We all have different frequency ranges we hear. Many of us have an imbalance between right and left.

I had the mini Utopias for a while. Now they weren't my favourite speakers of all time but the Be tweeter was, if I remember correctly, sweet. I like the sound of all the Be units I have heard - from the old Yamahas, through the TAD compression drivers I played with, to those in my current loudspeakers.

On paper they are superior. To my ears they have something others don't. The frequency balance on Focals may well be tipped up. I don't think it is generally speaking but I don't like their main drivers that much. One thing to bear in mind with them is that they often present a wildly varying impedance which, with some amplifiers, will alter the frequency response a lot.

At the end of the day though, it's personal preference. Anyone saying something else is selling you something ;) 

I have heard Focals sounding superb and ouch.

The best:
Superb = 1028be: In a friends Naim 500 system fed by CD555 + PS555DR.
Very good = 1008be II: My system, Linn Klimax > EAR868 > EAR534.

Ouch:
Dealer, NDS > Statement > Sopra2

When the NDS was swapped out for a Tangerined LP12 this went from ouch to excellent, and with the NDS it was an occassional high frequency nasty, although the LP12 just stomped it into the dust - slight hyperbole!

M

I have heard Focals sounding superb and ouch.
The best:
Superb = 1028be: In a friends Naim 500 system fed by CD555 + PS555DR.
Very good = 1008be II: My system, Linn Klimax > EAR868 > EAR534.
Ouch:
Dealer, NDS > Statement > Sopra2
When the NDS was swapped out for a Tangerined LP12 this went from ouch to excellent, and with the NDS it was an occassional high frequency nasty, although the LP12 just stomped it into the dust - slight hyperbole!
M

A nice balanced post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1