Verite

Next amp from 5125

Hi folks!

I have LP 12 -> Schiit Phono pre -> Kinos -> 5125 -> T+A Criterion floorstanders.     Digital is Musical Fidelity M6s DAC from USB from dedicated MacBook.

Speakers are bi-wired, I'm using 4/5 channels for the 5125's.

This system sounds great, but it's a big room and the Kinos volume is at around 70% for casual listening, and I wondering if I'm maybe pushing the 5125 a bit more than I should.  

At 125 into 8 x4, the 5125 puts out a bunch of power (on paper equivalent to Klouts, etc.). Don't know what the obvious power upgrade path is beside leaving the Linn ecosystem and doing a Bryston or something.      Maybe add a second 5125 and take some of the strain off the transformer and just run two channels out of it?   Take it Dynamik?   

Any thoughts from the Linn-masters out there?

If you have money left,  I assume you have since you need the budget for a second 5125 or dynamik for it. I would swap the 5125 for a 2250 with dynamik. Dynamik for a 5125 isn't available anymore new and second hand hard to find, also a bit risky.

So if you like the sound from the 5125 but lack the oomph, a 2250/D would be logical step, maybe a 2200 with dynamik if your budget allows you. I also doubt if bi-amping is benificial..

PS. I don't qualify as Linn-master... 

Thanks!

Though I'd need TWO 2250/D to keep up with the power from a 5125 sending out 4 channels.    I've tried just going stereo out of it, and bi-wiring (to those T+A speakers, at least) does add a lot of punch and volume.  

You can get an Akurate 4200 for about £1600 -2200 used. I’d suggest that. I drive power hungry Kabers and felt that the majik 4/6100 could be Heard straining.

Now I’m using 6 channels of Akurate amps and the music just flows easily. My average volume is about 45 on the mdsm. The loudest I’ve ever gone is 65.

Just so you know I preferred my unidisk SC as a preamp over my Kinos.

I also preferred my Kabers single wired with Akurate amps over tri-amped majik amps.

Another vote for the 4200 with Dynamik or maybe a Klimax Twin (with Dynamik)

My 5125 drove Ninkas Katans and 109's to dangerous levels in my mid sized room. Are the speakers in question efficient, that would be more the bottleneck? Is Aktiv possible with this amp speaker combo? That would definitely tame harshness in my experience. I never had it Dynamiked, but most said it really helped this amp sing.

If I’m not sounding too offensive and the phono preamp has volume control i’d remove the Kinos and plug the preamp directly to the 5125.

Maybe that would confirm if the Kinos is more hyped than I actually felt it was.

Thanks for all the the feedback!

Taking your thoughts one at a time here:

- My speakers are 86db... so significantly less efficient than Ninkas or Majiks or even Kabers.   Great clean bass response and sound great in my rather large, undamped room since they are transmission line.     But they are power hungry.   Specs here:  https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/criterion_ts300_en.pdf

-  I've had the Kairn, the Exotik, the Majik integrated, and some other preamps from Classe, ML, etc and the Kinos is the best sounding preamp I've heard.  I think it's just fantastic.   Haven't had a chance to a/b it with newest Linn pre's but I'm very happy with it besides that it runs very hot and takes forever to startup.  

- I've tried running my DAC straight into the amp (it has a volume control, and who hasn't tried this at some point) and it sounded like trash.   Alas, I need a preamp in the pipeline.

-  I'll def keep my eye out for an Akurate 4200.  On paper, actually less output that the 5125, tho.  111w/8 vs 125w, so unless the numbers are really misleading, doesn't really get my past things.

Thanks for all the input.  System sound great overall this is just me polishing the diamond a bit. 

"the only compromise is 
its slightly reduced maximum 
sound pressure and ultra-low bass 
capability"

Nobody has spoken to amps making more sound, but I don't think the lemon will yield any more juice given the above quote. If these speakers were measured for SPACE (or Exakt) this might help with filling your room? This however means spending shedloads of cash replacing everything except your inefficient speakers. Definitely not just a bit of polish, sorry.

We have just advertised our own rather special 5125 on ebay as we have moved to Akudorik EXAKT Katalyst for our own system. This 5125 was rebuilt by Linn in 2012 with new main board and Dynamik. Only components  left original were blue led and fans. It is has been in our system since rebuild. Probably the newest 5125 in existance.

CJ

Edited by CJ1045

"the only compromise is 
its slightly reduced maximum 
sound pressure and ultra-low bass 
capability"

Nobody has spoken to amps making more sound, but I don't think the lemon will yield any more juice given the above quote. If these speakers were measured for SPACE (or Exakt) this might help with filling your room? This however means spending shedloads of cash replacing everything except your inefficient speakers. Definitely not just a bit of polish, sorry.

SO won't give more pressure.

Yes, as he worried about distortion, maybe space might take some boom away, so it might deliver a clearer tune. No pressure though I know, and as I said earlier I'm wasting tons of the OP's money and not allowing him to shake the foundations of his abode.