Aristillus

Angle Audio

Anyone in Wam land using an Angle Audio phono stage? Heard one tother day and was totally gobsmacked at how good it sounded. However, it is less than a million pound so it can't be taken seriously, or can it?

:sofa:

• Like 1

I've had one, it was battery powered if I remember correctly. Very quiet and good sounding.

I've had one, it was battery powered if I remember correctly. Very quiet and good sounding.

Was it MM or MC? What made you move it on?

Anyone in Wam land using an Angle Audio phono stage? Heard one tother day and was totally gobsmacked at how good it sounded. However, it is less than a million pound so it can't be taken seriously, or can it?

:sofa:

Yes, it can!

I haven't heard one, but there's no reason it shouldn't be highly capable. From what I understand, Angle only sell direct, not through any dealer network. Having looked into this for my own stuff in the past, that makes a serious difference. By the time you take into account the dealer margin, stocking costs, transport, additional VAT, etc. you can pretty much double the selling price or more.

On that basis, it would be a £200 phono stage, which puts it head to head with plenty of others. The 'normal' selling price of a little under £100 would still allow for some decent components. The gain stages are obviously going to be opamps, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's a low cost way to get the required gain with low noise without complex circuitry. There are only a handful of passive components. Capacitors and resistors need to be reasonable quality, burt they're cheap enough. The case and walmart supply will be generic, so it's assembly and some screen printing. It's going to be 12V or such, so the unit won't need CE certification, and the bought-in power supplies should already have it.

Cheap? Yes, but not crazily so. I would guess at it being very competent and probably very close to the Rega Fono and similar units.

• Like 1

Yes, it can!

I haven't heard one, but there's no reason it shouldn't be highly capable. From what I understand, Angle only sell direct, not through any dealer network. Having looked into this for my own stuff in the past, that makes a serious difference. By the time you take into account the dealer margin, stocking costs, transport, additional VAT, etc. you can pretty much double the selling price or more.

On that basis, it would be a £200 phono stage, which puts it head to head with plenty of others. The 'normal' selling price of a little under £100 would still allow for some decent components. The gain stages are obviously going to be opamps, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's a low cost way to get the required gain with low noise without complex circuitry. There are only a handful of passive components. Capacitors and resistors need to be reasonable quality, burt they're cheap enough. The case and walmart supply will be generic, so it's assembly and some screen printing. It's going to be 12V or such, so the unit won't need CE certification, and the bought-in power supplies should already have it.

Cheap? Yes, but not crazily so. I would guess at it being very competent and probably very close to the Rega Fono and similar units.

Interesting observations. I have to confirm that i have grown very very sceptical with regards to phono stages. My very basic technical knowledge means i can't comment on design and specs but i have been fortunate enough to own and hear many phono stages costing from a couple of hundred quid to £5,000. The best two i have heard have both been on bourd pre amps. One being an Exposure (John Farlowe vintage) and the other on board a Beard CA 506. I woon't be as unprofessional as to name the ones that were in my opinion poor where both well over a grand. I can't believe how much money i have spent over the years but i could kick myself. I am presently using a Vincent valve jobbie and it is ok but i do think that some manufactures are taking the piss price wise especially with the addition of expensive power supplies etc. When i heard the Angle Audio lately and how good it was for how little it cost it really confirmed my thoughts. I borrowd a Trichord phono stage last year with a NC power supply which lasted a matter of hours before i gave it back to it's rightful owner. It is all subjective, if something works it works if it doesn't fit into the system then it isn't worth bothering with especially at silly prices. Far too many people making a fortune of the back of vinyl lovers. I realise i will get shot down in flames here but we are all entitled to our view. Good to hear other positive views about the Angle Audio as i thought it was my imagination. Not sure if they are still trading though.

Was it MM or MC? What made you move it on?

MM, with an Ortofon 2M Blue. I moved it on because I went MC.

Super Wammer

In the olden days (the 70s) with the inceasing popularity of MCs a lot of DIY makers made MC pre preamps selling for not a lot of money (usually battery driven) and many sounded surprisingly good .. Ok that was a simple step up with no RIAA malarkey to deal with.  But the electronics I am led to believe (I am no expert) are not rocket science.   

In those days though we were shifting lots of units so that reduced the overall production costs with mass produced circuit boards.  Nowadays the number of units sold is far less - so the economies of scale on mass production are not available.   When you take this into account the products of today are going to be far more expensive - then when you take into account the dealer wants to make some money too (usually a 40% or even more mark up) and add in the advertising costs etc etc and all of a sudden what is a relatively cheap item becomes far more expensive (when you think that an Ortofon VMS2E used to retail for about £25 in the 80s and now the nearest equivalent (Blue) is over £180 you get the idea.  Far less sold and  less economies of scale in manufacture.

So cottage industries like this are capable of producing superb products dealing direct to keep down all the ancillary cost at a cost that is much lower than their competitors.  The end result for those that use their ears - if they like it then that is all that matters and I have no doubt that they will be value for money and may even be a sonic bargain but that is for your ears to decide :)

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I have an Angle phono stage powered from mains via a small and cheap transformer and am happy with it.

I am not a Vinyl chappie though.  I have a fairly small LP collection (about 100 total) and a budget deck - project debut.

That said I am feeding this into about 5 grands worth of pre-amp/power-amp/speakers that I mostly use with digital sources and am more than happy with the results.

I don't feel the need to up upgrade either phono stage or deck.

• Like 2