Richdirector

Will large tannoys work with SET low watt amps

If you must buy a 300B SET then at least consider this one.it avoids sounding loose,slow,bloated and excessively euphonic .Unlike most .The Japanese seem to know what they are doing when they build a SET.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=16&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwipp6m1ms_lAhUJr48KHazuDeIQFjAPegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hificollective.co.uk%2Fkits%2Felekit-audio-kits-tu-8600r.html&usg=AOvVaw3Q_dLtIhH-n26XOWRRy88Q

Super Wammer

If you must buy a 300B SET then at least consider this one.it avoids sounding loose,slow,bloated and excessively euphonic .Unlike most .The Japanese seem to know what they are doing when they build a SET.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=16&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwipp6m1ms_lAhUJr48KHazuDeIQFjAPegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hificollective.co.uk%2Fkits%2Felekit-audio-kits-tu-8600r.html&usg=AOvVaw3Q_dLtIhH-n26XOWRRy88Q

That is interesting. Can I ask if you have one and if so which option did you go for?

I have found that a Border Patrol power supply is my favourite secret weapon against slow, bloated and excessively euphonic bass with valves and that the MB version of the BP PSU with its bigger choke is even better. The Border Patrol 300B amplifier has one of their power supplies and which supplies power to all the valves in the amp. I just accidentally happen to have two extra 'spare' Border Patrol MB power supplies and my winter project will be to incorporate one of these for each 300B HV supply and leave the original PSU just doing the small valves. I expect this to stiffen up the bass even more.

I would like to learn more about the Elekit TU-8600R or TU-8600RVK 300B Single Ended Tube Amplifier kit from you though.

• Like 1

I do not own one but a friend who has owned and built many valve amps does and he really rates it.I have borrowed it and agree.

Edited by THOMO
  • Like 1

Lived with Tannoy Kensington speakers for two years and tried a lot of different amps with them. SET Mastersound Evolution 845 was a good match, but speakers really opened up with powerful solid state, especially class A amps imho. Regardless of sensitivity ratings I realised that Tannoys love a lot of current to really start singing. For certain music genres 10w single ended amp might be great, but it won't be an all rounder for sure. Again, that's only my opinion.

• Like 1

Super Dealer

I think the weighty bass from my 8w Border Patrol 300B SET was one of the things that left @TheFlash slightly gobsmacked when he heard it a few days ago. ;-)

Was that driving Tannoys and if so which ones? Audio Innovations with Border Patrol choke input power supply falls as flat as a pancake with my Canterbury's but my own CLC version of choke power supply as attached gives an amp that drives them very decently.

I disagree with Rabs re Tannoys needing damping. IMO the cone is stiff and heavy relative to modern light coned speakers. Therefore it needs enough current to move its relatively stiff mountings, and enough damping and negative feedback to control the movement. Too much damping and it goes as flat as a pancake eg Class D. Other Tannoys differ from my Canterbury's

IMG_20191028_155202.jpg

I have asked about wait time on the radford sta25 mkV reissue.... Here's hoping 

When large Tannoys were developed originally, I don't think there were alternatives to tubes.

My experience is that, despite the sensitivity and era of the design, they benefit from a healthy dose of solid state power. Others may vary. Others may enjoy the subjective results with tubes whilst some will be harking back to an attractive era. Just, for me, they like the amps that came along later.

Interesting how some people like SETs with Tannoys and others solid state amps.

In my experience that probably depends on the particular amplifier and Tannoy speaker but the optimal amplifier probably lies somewhere between the two.An amplifier with moderate output impedance rather than too high [SETs]  or too low [solid state].Which is where push pull valve amps tend to fall and why they are probably the safest choice.My old Trimax El34 mono blocks sound really excellent with the vintage Tannoys-they are like an Australian made alternative to the Radfords and based on the Mullard 520 design.But the current drive Bakoon SS amplifiers I have mentioned are also excellent and far higher resolution [if that is what you want and not everybody does].

Excellent overview on different amplifier topology here by Lenard Audio-

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjpmMSgot7lAhXIOI8KHYJyAi0QFjAMegQICRAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Feducation.lenardaudio.com%2Fen%2F12_amps_8.html&usg=AOvVaw3yR-sxIbdxmCEYEpUnE30J

If the Wam taxi request pays off I’ll be trying Vintage Eaton’s with Avondale mono blocks. Any foreseeable issues with (Naim type) SS?  Guess they’re around 90 watts,  being bespoke there isn’t a spec listed. 

Super Wammer

I have gone down from 200 Watts per channel (meridian G57) to 25 watts with a Luxman KT88 Valve amplifier driving Tannoy GR Stirling's and no loss of volume or  Bass. The only damage was the credit card.

Alan.