Sign in to follow this  
Gel

Got rid of top model Oled TV and bought a Philips 55-inch Ambilight TV

I'm the same Bodgit. 

Pioneer plasma will be donated to a friend for Christmas, who has hit hard times. Still life in it and having looked around, I'll probably go OLED. 

I'll look at upcoming sales as I have a shortlist. 

Would you mind sharing your short list, I'm just curious. Thanks.

LG C9

Panasonic GZ950

Sony AG8

Wildcard is the Sony XF9005, as its LCD. 

I'm hearing good things about the OLED from Phillips so will bear those in mind but they don't seem to have many on demo. 

Edited by AnilS

The only places I'm really looking at are JL and RS. 

Prefer shop front but if a deal pops up online, I may take a punt. 

Edited by AnilS

I'm still watching a 14yo 50" Panasonic Plasma 720p HD ready TV. Even Mistress Bodgit has been saying perhaps we should upgrade, but actually the picture I think is pretty good. Not the gretest detail of course, but still pretty good!

Yes, I sympathise with this.

I am not fixed in a luddite mindset, BUT I will want to test any new TV with the range of files that I have to decide whether in doing the change I am going to find myself forced into rebuying my collection, assuming they are available to buy.

Would you mind sharing your short list, I'm just curious. Thanks.

I recently bought (cut/paste from my good deals this few months ago) I’ve just bought a 55 inch 4K Samsung curved screen tv on eBay for £389 with free delivery. 

My dad also bought the non curved version for around £340 delivered. 

Ebay regularly do either 15% or 20% off days and the seller was CramptonandMoore. 

Was a samsung UE55NU7021... not sure if this was mine or dads... 

A really decent deal imo.

Edited by Amormusic

Amormusic, did it come with a decent warranty? 

Brand spanking new dude... so standard Samsung one, can't remember, but two or three years or something, once registered.

Was a stonking deal and we both are very happy with our purchase.

No issues with mine, or dads, all good. 

Ps - ebay very regularly do these deals... Usually a weekend only etc... You really can pick up a steal if you carefully shop. The one I bought also featured on topukdeals app best purchase or whatever they call it... this app flags "hot" best good deals (although I didn't realise that till after I bought it).

Edited by Amormusic
Clarification
  • Like 1

I'm still watching a 14yo 50" Panasonic Plasma 720p HD ready TV. Even Mistress Bodgit has been saying perhaps we should upgrade, but actually the picture I think is pretty good. Not the gretest detail of course, but still pretty good!

i think I've already mentioned this. Nothing wrong with your TV - a friend in the trade says you won't notice a difference unless you are regularly watching 4k streaming. I'm holding onto my 434 until it dies. It's fine.

• Like 1

OLED at present is still the very best there is, 4K UHD is a sight to behold on these TV's (even better 8K :22:). No LCD will ever come close due to the nature of the tech no matter what the manufactures (Samsung ;)) might say.

OLED at present is still the very best there is, 4K UHD is a sight to behold on these TV's (even better 8K :22:). No LCD will ever come close due to the nature of the tech no matter what the manufactures (Samsung ;)) might say.

Agreed, I went from a last generation Panny plasma to an LG OLED C8.  Massive improvement in picture quality.  We also have a top model Samsung LCD (3 yr old) and that is not as good as the OLED.

As a gamer you get to see what 4K HDR can really do. If you mainly watch TV and the occasional film then I can see why you'd be underwhelmed. For games, HDR brings back that CRT like "glow" that I've missed.