DavidHB

Experiences with Record Cleaning Machines.

10 hours ago, DavidHB said:

The honest answer is that, being a refugee from the now defunct Linn forum, I don't often venture outside the Linn Club, and it was natural for me to start the thread here.

I also migrated here from the Linn Forum, but now find I spend far more time among the general population.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2019 at 08:00, Matteo said:

It would not be for me as I could not undertake a demonstration at my local dealers. 

At my age I need somebody to show me how to use something and the let me have a go. 

I think dealer support for a RCM is as important as it is for any other component. 

Matteo:

Yes. This is the RCM I have been considering. I like that is really seems like a well thought out purpose built product rather than a process supported by a variety of parts assembled together in support of the defined process and presented as a product. The downside is this RCM is from a small company and it looks like they are just getting going. There is always a risk when purchasing from a relatively new upstart, which is especially true when the company is geographically very far from where I live here in the US.

That being said I am close to giving it a go.

Nestor:

Don't sell yourself too short. Completely understand about wanting to have a go at something and feel comfortable with how a product works but we are never too old to learn and try new things.  That being said I totally agree with local dealer support. Ideally this is the best way to go and is what I normally do over 90% of the time.

However, when I jumped into the world of the LP12 I had to accept my closet dealer was 250mi/402km away. For an item like a RCM, getting it from an internet dealer is usually the way we have to go due to lack of local dealer support. This becomes especially true the more narrowcast a product becomes. While purchasing from the internet does have its risks, this is such a niche item with the effort to produce a working product rather high, it all seem on the level to me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nestor Turton said:

I think dealer support for a RCM is as important as it is for any other component.

The fact that my friend Chris and I could get training and support for the Keith Monks machine from none other than Jon Monks himself.was the USP that convinced us to purchase. I agree that getting the best out of an RCM (including being realistic about what it can and can't do) requires a learning process that dealer training and support can considerably shorten. If I were buying a cavitation cleaner, MicKC's report on the Audio Desk machine, coupled with the fact that it is recommended by Colin Macey of WYSaH, would weigh quite heavily with me. Buying any niche product (which actually includes all Linn gear in my book) sight unseen is a no-no for me. But I will make an expensive ferry trip and a 150 mile round trip to visit my dealer. He doesn't carry RCMs, so, but for our piece of good fortune, any purchase would have involved a long trip (perhaps to WYSaH).

More generally, today's progress report is that I have so far cleaned 20 LPs on the Monks machine, and have listened to about half of them (I was in London all yesterday, which has slowed progress). The promised report later in the week is still looking feasible.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1