Nemick

Selekt DSM MC Phono Section

21 hours ago, Nemick said:

I'm thinking about that, but if I were to do that, might I be better off buying a used Akurate DSM?

It would have to be an ADSM/3 which only came out last year. Chance of getting a better than 2k discount so soon to match a new Selekt doesn''t sound too promising to me (even if there are any about yet).

Better bet would be an older ADSM (a /1 or /2) and then get the Katalyst upgrade for 1.8k (and a new warranty to boot). You're still talking around new Selekt Kat money though I reckon.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, timster said:

It would have to be an ADSM/3 which only came out last year. Chance of getting a better than 2k discount so soon to match a new Selekt doesn''t sound too promising to me (even if there are any about yet).

Better bet would be an older ADSM (a /1 or /2) and then get the Katalyst upgrade for 1.8k (and a new warranty to boot). You're still talking around new Selekt Kat money though I reckon.

I really appreciate that insight. You've probably saved me days of trying to get my head around the permutations. I suppose there's no way other than listening to know if the Akurate DSM 1 or 2 has a better, worse or same sounding phono stage. Then again, that goes for the DAC Katalyst too. I'll look for a subjective comparison between an ADSM 1 or 2 and the Selekt.

Neil M.

47 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

you are saying the phono stage goes through digitisation which, apart from anything else, permits SO settings to operate on the phono input. Is that correct?

Yes.

47 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

the RIAA and amplification bit is analogue, much like any other phono stage, it’s just that it is then digitised to make it compatible with SO, etc?

Yes. The only exception to the "any other phono stage" is the Urika II, as previously noted.

16 minutes ago, Nemick said:

I suppose there's no way other than listening to know if the Akurate DSM 1 or 2 has a better, worse or same sounding phono stage

AFAIK, all variants of the ADSM have the same phono stage, which can be set to be an MC or an MM input.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, DavidHB said:

Yes. The only exception to the "any other phono stage" is the Urika II, as previously noted.

Thanks so much, David.  I knew the Urika II was unique but had never really thought about my ADSM!  

1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

I ...had never really thought about my ADSM!  

The phono stage in the ADSM is pretty good, in my opinion. I only changed to a separate phono stage when I part exchanged my ADSM for a KEDSM, which does not have an inbuilt phono stage. With Klimax kit, Linn apparently think that you should use a Urika, or at least a Uphorik ...

David

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

The phono stage in the ADSM is pretty good, in my opinion. I only changed to a separate phono stage when I part exchanged my ADSM for a KEDSM, which does not have an inbuilt phono stage. With Klimax kit, Linn apparently think that you should use a Urika, or at least a Uphorik ...

David

That’s good to know. My longer-term plan is to get the active version of my ATCs, fed from the Akurate, and then the turntable can use the Akurate input when I sell my amp and phono stage.  Nothing to stop me trying it sooner, or course!