Paulssurround

If You Had An Additional £25,000 To Spend On Your Linn System....

34 minutes ago, Newton John said:

I’d ask Linn if there would be any chance of upgrading my Solos to Dynamik.

To which, sadly, the answer would be 'no'. the Dynamik upgrade for Solos was discontinued several years ago.

David

15 hours ago, DavidHB said:

I might not even get three for £25K. And I'd need ten. And, aside from the somewhat speculative question as to how much improvement the Solos would actually the provide in an Exakt system, the whole idea of driving a supertweeter with a 500w amplifier costing the better part of £10K seems like a complete trip to Dagenham. (For those who don't catch the reference, Dagenham is three stops beyond Barking on the District Line.)

All of which is mostly irrelevant, because I did say than I'm pretty happy with my present system. Which is fortunate, because I cant see any way to improve it cost-effectively.

David

I know David, it was just a tongue-in-cheek suggestion... Btw, I have a friend with Komris, driven actively by 8 Solos. The last pair of Solos for the super-tweeter brought the biggest improvement...

Posted (edited)

If I was given 25k I would buy another pair of cloth covers for my Keilidhs for £30 and put the rest towards a new Mercedes 😊

i suppose I should explain. As I sit and listen to my system, which sounds dam good to me, and the best I have ever had in a HiFi journey of almost 50 years, I don’t think I can really improve it anymore. At the age of 64, my ears are only going to go one way and while 25k would get me some nice upgrades, I don’t feel I would appreciate it as much as I would have, 20 or 30 years ago. Yes, new speakers would probably be nice. A pair of Kudos x20’s or similar might be nice. But as I have become accustomed to the sound of my Keilidhs, I feel all I would get is a different sound, not necessarily a better sound. 25k or even 100k, I can’t see myself giving Linn another penny in what time I have left on this Earth. Only way this would change, is if I won enough money for another house somewhere a bit warmer than Scotland that I could spend the winter in. Then I would probably buy the exact same as I already have.

Bill.

Edited by Billz

With 30,000 € I would buy a current KDSM, a Klimax Radikal, a Keel, and an Ekos SE/1, and sell my ND5 XS 2, Akurate Radikal, Kore, and Akito 2b.

M.

• Upvote 1

I’d upgrade my Akurate DSM and Radikal to Klimax versions so all my boxes matched.
If there were money left I’d upgrade the KCT to a pair of Solos. 

I’m more than happy with what I have, but wouldn’t mind being gifted a £25k Linn voucher. 

I’ll go with an AirTight preamp and power amp. £25k may just be almost enough for those 2 babies. 😬

• Like 1