forgot-my-id

Is a General Election coming ??

4 hours ago, linesrg said:

Good Morning All,

Further to my post of yesterday I'm assuming the reason we don't have a Green Party candidate is because of the 'Unite to Remain' Alliance???

Regards

Richard

Lets hope so.

Are you managing with, or without a brexit party ltd candidate?

ffid1l,

I'm assuming that as the current Conservative incumbent won with a 15,000+ majority Nigel has included it in his 317 uncontested seats?

Regards

Richard

Johnson - "penis," 1863, perhaps related to British slang John Thomas, which has the same meaning (1887). John Thomas is also standing for the Conservatives.

18 hours ago, linesrg said:

ffid1l,

I'm assuming that as the current Conservative incumbent won with a 15,000+ majority Nigel has included it in his 317 uncontested seats?

Regards

Richard

Ah, I could see how you might feel disenfranchised.

Presumably you voted for PR when you had an opportunity to do so?

27 minutes ago, ff1d1l said:

Ah, I could see how you might feel disenfranchised.

Presumably you voted for PR when you had an opportunity to do so?

Perhaps we should have another vote? It seems popular these days.  Or if you are a Liberal Democrat change the result to one you like yourself. 

Edited by AntA
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AntA said:

Perhaps we should have another vote? It seems popular these days. 

Well, I'm all in favour of a rerun of votes in the light of further information being available. And FPTP is not currently panning out well, is it?

Having to put up with a few brexit and co ltd seats in Westminster seems a worthwhile price to pay for your vote actually counting for something.

• Upvote 1

On 17/11/2019 at 09:29, linesrg said:

Good Morning All,

Further to my post of yesterday I'm assuming the reason we don't have a Green Party candidate is because of the 'Unite to Remain' Alliance???

Regards

Richard

That seems likely. I'm pretty sure you could find out with a quick Google if you want to be sure as I think I remember the agreement being pretty open.

On 16 November 2019 at 17:55, sunbeamgls said:

Usual evasive answer.

There is nothing that I could ever say or do that will allow you to see the truth or even acknowledge that Brexit  might have some positives, so I have Decided not to bother , no offence .:)

You and others are so entrenched in your position and stuck in your Remain echo chamber,  further conversation is almost pointless !

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 17/11/2019 at 09:29, linesrg said:

Good Morning All,

Regards

Richard

Full list of unite to remain seats here:

Liberal Democrats and the Green party are standing aside for Plaid Cymru in the following Welsh seats:

Arfon (Held)

Dwyfor Meirionnydd (Held)

Carmarthen East and Dinefwr (Held)

Ynys Mon

Pontypridd

Caerphilly

Llanelli

Liberal Democrats and Plaid Cymru are standing aside for the Green party in the following Welsh seat:

Vale of Glamorgan

Liberal Democrats are standing aside for the Green party in the following English seats:

Brighton Pavilion (Held)

Isle of Wight

Bury St Edmunds

Bristol West

Stroud

Dulwich & West Norwood

Cannock Chase

Exeter

Forest of Dean

Plaid Cymru and the Green party are standing aside for the Liberal Democrats in the following Welsh seats:

Brecon & Radnorshire (Held)

Cardiff Central

Montgomeryshire

The Green party are standing aside for Liberal Democrats in the following English seats:

Bath (Held)

North Norfolk (Held)

Oxford West & Abingdon (Held)

South Cambridgeshire (Held)

Totnes (Held)

Twickenham (Held)

Westmorland & Lonsdale (Held)

Bermondsey & Old Southwark

Buckingham

Cheadle

Chelmsford

Chelsea & Fulham

Cheltenham

Chippenham

Esher & Walton

Finchley & Golders Green

Guildford

Harrogate

Hazel Grove 

Hitchin & Harpenden

North Cornwall

Penistone & Stocksbridge

Portsmouth South

Richmond Park 

Romsey & Southampton North

Rushcliffe

South East Cambridgeshire

South West Surrey

Southport

Taunton Deane

Thornbury & Yate

Tunbridge Wells

Wantage

Warrington South

Watford

Wells

Wimbledon

Winchester

Witney

York Outer

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Electro said:

There is nothing that I could ever say or do that will allow you to see the truth or even acknowledge that Brexit  might have some positives, so I have Decided not to bother , no offence .:)

You and others are so entrenched in your position and stuck in your Remain echo chamber,  further conversation is almost pointless !

Brilliant!

Not one of the points I raised was about the benefits of Brexit.  So now you're not only not answering the questions raised, you're not answering some that weren't asked.

Taking it up a level.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, AntA said:

Or if you are a Liberal Democrat change the result to one you like yourself. 

People seem to struggle with this, but it really is very simple.

The Lib Dems are saying that they will stop Brexit if they are elected.  That is their election promise. So, if they get elected into government, they would be entirely entitled to stop Brexit, because it is in their manifesto and people voted for it.

Why is that complicated and worthy of scorn?

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

People seem to struggle with this, but it really is very simple.

The Lib Dems are saying that they will stop Brexit if they are elected.  That is their election promise. So, if they get elected into government, they would be entirely entitled to stop Brexit, because it is in their manifesto and people voted for it.

Why is that complicated and worthy of scorn?

You are right I am struggling to understand this.

Does that mean to say that if the Conservatives get in they would be entirely entitled to go ahead with Brexit because it is in their manifesto and all the people trying to stop it would just accept it?

If so that is fair enough!

18 minutes ago, AntA said:

You are right I am struggling to understand this.

Does that mean to say that if the Conservatives get in they would be entirely entitled to go ahead with Brexit because it is in their manifesto and all the people trying to stop it would just accept it?

If so that is fair enough!

Your struggles illustrate why a massive issue like Brexit with such long term effects should be finally decided with a separate referendum leaving a GE for all the other more “day to day” issues appropriate for a five year term. Otherwise, what does a conservative who understands the benefits of remaining in the EU do?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Camverton said:

Your struggles illustrate why a massive issue like Brexit with such long term effects should be finally decided with a separate referendum leaving a GE for all the other more “day to day” issues appropriate for a five year term. Otherwise, what does a conservative who understands the benefits of remaining in the EU do?

So you are saying that the Liberal Democrats are wrong to cancel Brexit which was my original point. And I agree with you a separate referendum would be better.

My first choice would be a confirmatory referendum on Brexit. We have to accept what we are given, however,  with a referendum and GE combined we have to use that. As such I don’t thing the Lib Dem’s would be wrong to cancel Brexit if they were elected with a majority as that is what they have clearly stated they will do. Let’s face it, it would be a nice change for a party to do what they said they’d do!