joolz

cd cleaning / repair

Given the abundance of cheap secondhand cd's available for very little money - what method do you use to clean, repair, improve them ?

T Cut and a soft cloth seems to work on most CDs if not too deeply scratched. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joolz said:

Given the abundance of cheap secondhand cd's available for very little money - what method do you use to clean, repair, improve them ?

Absolutely nothing. I've bought a fair few second hand CDs from Music Magpie and have all played fine. CDs aren't like vinyl where cleaning can improve sound quality.

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Absolutely nothing. I've bought a fair few second hand CDs from Music Magpie and have all played fine. CDs aren't like vinyl where cleaning can improve sound quality.

I've bought a lot of CDs from Music Magpie and only had a couple of faulty ones. The problem is not the sound quality but they skip and jump or just don't play passed a certain part of the CD. I have had more issues with CDs after my wife has had them in the car and rather than put them back in their cases they get dropped on the floor or chucked in the glove compartment. 

Edited by AntA
  • Like 2

Super Wammer

I use one of these, and either furniture polish or lighter fuel 

15687947909691071692390749323369.jpg

27 minutes ago, AntA said:

I've bought a lot of CDs from Music Magpie and only had a couple of faulty ones. The problem is not the sound quality but they skip and jump or just don't play passed a certain part of the CD. I have had more issues with CDs after my wife has had them in the car and rather than put them back in their cases they get dropped on the floor or chucked in the glove compartment. 

Yes, if they skip or the sound cuts out that's different, and can sometimes be improved/fixed. I nearly put this in my first post actually.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Lurch said:

15687947909691071692390749323369.jpg

Okay Lurch I give in what is that and where can I get one

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Yes, if they skip or the sound cuts out that's different, and can sometimes be improved/fixed. I nearly put this in my first post actually.

So what's your solution Martin ?

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, bencat said:

Okay Lurch I give in what is that and where can I get one

1568804240246802801005902919990.jpg

Similar Handraulic devices available on ebay & Amazon. 

Edited by Lurch

40 minutes ago, joolz said:

So what's your solution Martin ?

I don't really have one. Issues are phenomenally rare in my experience, and any issues I have come across were associated with big scratches that I don't believe were repairable.

Do you have lots of CDs where the sound cuts out / jumps?

Years ago I did waste time and money cleaning CDs that played perfectly well BTW .It was this sort of thing my OP was about, as it sounded like this was more what you had in mind. The vast majority of CDs need absolutely nothing doing to them.

I have a lot of cd's either bought secondhand or as Tony said above - have been used in a car and skipped after going over a bump, and then continue to skip when played at home.

Looking to try to rectify this type of problem.

Provided a scratch has not penetrated through to the metal film (with the 1s an 0s) they can be polished out.   I use T Cut (metallic paint which is not as abrasive) and or Brasso to remove small surface scratches.  If it is a stubborn surface scratch CEX and gaming shops offer a polishing surface which has a heavier duty cutting compound to give a lustrous surface (but of course this can only be done once or twice so make sure you do not scratch them again after).

If you use Music Magpie (which I often do) if you get an unplayable/unrepairable one they usually refund without asking for a return (or replace if they have another in stock).

Mine jsut get a spray of IPA (the alcohol, not the beer...) and a polish if they really need it.

Apart from that it's just a case of choosing a decent CD player that can cope with scratches. I have one CD that is in an appalling state but two of my players will play it without a hiccup. Most others won't.

10 hours ago, Lurch said:

Stop hedging your bets.

Napalm, that's what you want.

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

@Lurch Bugger did a search on Amazon and instead of what you showed it came up with a load of Ultra Sonic cleaners as they use in the Watch / Jewellry trade . Thye cliam that these will really clean you CD's but I suspect will do nothing for any large scratches . Having seen these I may well be tempted .