HectorHughMunro

Amazon HD

https://www.whathifi.com/news/amazon-music-hd-launches-offering-cd-quality-sound-and-hi-res-audio-streaming

Game changer?

I’m also revisiting Tidal which is much improved since my last visit. Hopefully it gives the other providers a kick. 

Edited by HectorHughMunro
  • Like 2

Hm - I wonder what their catalogue/collection is like - some irritating gaps in Tidal, forcing me to actually get up and put on CDs - I'm sure this must infringe my human rights in some way

• Haha 5

But Tidal is better than it was and the gaps are far less pronounced than when it first started. 

My issues with it are cost and the fact that Chromecast Audio is buggy with it to the point where it doesn’t work for more than short periods of time. The latter is particularly annoying because it offers a glimpse of what should be a wonderful way to stream high res before it collapses. 

The best outcome would be if Spotify go CD quality and match the price. 

Super Wammer

For 90 days free, its got to be worth a dabble... and I'm no fan of streaming services either...

Super Wammer

...and a reasonably nice clear interface on wy Win10 Music server...

amazon_music.thumb.jpg.d3b8756ac3526267088908cb648b82ee.jpg

As a Amazon Prime member and Roon subscriber I very much hope it will be integrated with the Roon platform as Tidal is

fwiw my Chromecast Audio is solid as a rock when I use for streaming as a Roon endpoint 

Edited by JamieMcC

Super Dealer

So, can anyone comment on the SQ and range of music offered?

David

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, Juancho said:

So, can anyone comment on the SQ and range of music offered?

I'll report back David... listening to some vinyl at the mo :) 

Super Dealer

Thanks! Enjoy your vinyl!

• Haha 1

Don't think I will bother. I get sick of big greedy corporations wanting a slice of everything. I have used Deezer for years and I have recently subscribed to Tidal as it it built into my Naim Muso. Pretty impressed with Tidal so far.

I haven't had any problems using Tidal with a Chromecast but it was very patchy when I used it with Deezer.

What is good about the Amazon launch is that it might bring the price of other services down.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Super Wammer

Worth the 90 day trial but as this offer will be vlaid till 07 November it is worth waiting to sisgn up until you are ready to use and get the best you can

13 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

But Tidal is better than it was and the gaps are far less pronounced than when it first started. 

My issues with it are cost and the fact that Chromecast Audio is buggy with it to the point where it doesn’t work for more than short periods of time. The latter is particularly annoying because it offers a glimpse of what should be a wonderful way to stream high res before it collapses. 

The best outcome would be if Spotify go CD quality and match the price. 

I changed from a Chromecast audio as I had the same issues, to volumio on a pi via USB and it's been rock solid - sounds great too. 

11 hours ago, Juancho said:

So, can anyone comment on the SQ

David

It's digital, that depends on what kit you have surely. 

12 minutes ago, kernow said:

It's digital, that depends on what kit you have surely. 

Not at all. To my ears at least and to must people I speak to regularly Qobuz has a noticeably better SQ than Tidal through the same equipment. 

I don’t generally bother with Tidal anymore accordingly. 

I’ll give Amazon HD a go but didn’t really warm to their standard streaming service so unless there’s a compelling reason I won’t be switching. 

It'll also take ages for it to be fully integrated into the various apps, if ever. Naim are now in beta testing for native Qobuz so that’s another reason for me to stick with what I’ve got :)