brantome

Amazon Music HD launched..

34 minutes ago, Jellytot said:

Interesting read, don’t know if I followed it all on first read tbh. A lot of talk of “bit perfect” ( however that was ascertained) but not a lot on listening. What was wrong with the Windows 24/192 track that claimed it was playing at 24/192? And re Sonos, the Amazon page says it only supports HD, not UHD. I don’t disagree that Amazon have issues to address and aren’t the easiest to contact, but it’s early days. For a variety of reasons, I’ll persevere with it...

24 minutes ago, brantome said:

Interesting read, don’t know if I followed it all on first read tbh. A lot of talk of “bit perfect” ( however that was ascertained) but not a lot on listening. What was wrong with the Windows 24/192 track that claimed it was playing at 24/192? And re Sonos, the Amazon page says it only supports HD, not UHD. I don’t disagree that Amazon have issues to address and aren’t the easiest to contact, but it’s early days. For a variety of reasons, I’ll persevere with it...

You and me both, it came up on the feed on my phone and I had a read.  They do seem very hung up on numbers.  For me it did have me questioning our attempts at getting all the data to the dsm's. If these computer boffins are having trouble I 100% will!! 

Just ploughing thru the Amazon forum feeds. A few things stand out already, ignoring the really silly posts about getting UHD tracks on an echo Dot, or claiming to hear significant improvement with a £20 echo input plugged into an amp... The amazon reps on the forum are barely technical and merely parroting what we can already read on publicly available amazon blog pages, and don’t really understand what most of the ‘audiophile’ posters are asking - I even noticed a response quoting the echo link specs in direct response to a fire tv question. The other thing that screams out  is that Amazon haven’t really lined up their ducks in a row with releasing their HD service but not aligning their software capability other than a cosmetic change to show higher resolution tracks,  but not bypassing operating system drivers to be able to play at the DAC resolution. And, from my experience, their echo link just isn’t up to the job. One positive thing I am taking away from the thread is the lot of noise there - hopefully amazon will sit up, take notice and improve their software - as I said, allowing their own Amazon Music app on their own 4k fire tv stick to use its full 24/96 capability would do me for starters...