plasticpenguin

Elvis v Elvis

Presley v Costello

Discuss.

Why?.

:pop:

Why not? This is a hi-fi and music forum, isn't it?

4 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Why not? This is a hi-fi and music forum, isn't it?

True, but I would suggest a bit more than “Chalk v Cheese - discuss” would help promote the discussion. My own opinion is that I’ve never particularly liked either, and think Elvis Presley was never the “King of Rock and roll”.

The only similarity between the two is the name, if it were not for that I would never connect them.  I didn't like either of them, but I have to admit EP did have a big influence on the direction of music. All EC did was ruin Flowers in the dirt. 

Edited by AntA

Elvis Presley was from my father’s generation (at the peak of his talent years before I was born).

Influential, of course, but nothing I can relate to. By the time I was in my mid-teens he was dead and his most dedicated followers were middle-aged ‘rockers’ slicking DAs out of their remaining grey, balding hair!

Elvis Costello’s music was just about my ‘era’ but I could take it or leave it. 

Edited by chebby

I saw Elvis P singing at the Pershore Plum Festival a couple of weekends ago. I thought he still looked good for his age.

• Haha 2

I saw Elvis C at the Winter Gardens Margate in 1980. Not seen him since. 

I can see why people flocked to the shops to buy Presley's records. It was post-war austerity-hit country and he did bring something a little different to the table. He had the look and decent voice but that was about it IMO.

Costello IMO is one of the finest singer-songwriters around, ranking IMO along with Bowie. 

For me, the King of Rock 'n' Roll was Buddy Holly. Like Costello, wrote most of his own songs without the "look at me" factor. 

2 hours ago, chebby said:

Elvis Presley was from my father’s generation (at the peak of his talent years before I was born).

Influential, of course, but nothing I can relate to. By the time I was in my mid-teens he was dead and his most dedicated followers were middle-aged ‘rockers’ slicking DAs out of their remaining grey, balding hair!

Elvis Costello’s music was just about my ‘era’ but I could take it or leave it. 

So was Sinatra, but you still have recordings of him. I like Sinatra and we are roughly the same age.

Never got Presley.

But I can understand how as a performer he changed music for the better but give me Declan Patrick MacManus, OBE any day of the week for quality crafted songs and music.

I have bumped into Elvis Presley's daughter a few times and She's really nice.

Edited by Bignose5

14 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

So was Sinatra, but you still have recordings of him. I like Sinatra and we are roughly the same age.

I only really like ‘Sinatra At The Sands’, live with the Count Basie orchestra (arranged by Quincy Jones), as a one-off. The other live recording (of the pair of discs) was of the Count Basie orchestra before Frank Sinatra comes on stage.

Another one here who doesn't like either musically. As most have said, EP was important at the time and he changed music but I don't think 50s rock and roll has aged very well in comparison to some other genres that are still relatable today.

I would probably go for EP though, purely because he could sing, whereas I think EC is a good songwriter but doesn't have a great voice. In terms of image, if that matters, give me C's basic approach over P's razmataz anyday.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, chebby said:

I only really like ‘Sinatra At The Sands’, live with the Count Basie orchestra (arranged by Quincy Jones), as a one-off. The other live recording (of the pair of discs) was of the Count Basie orchestra before Frank Sinatra comes on stage.

That was the album I purchased a few months ago. It's a good'un.

Mustn't forget Elvis had other strings to his bow.

download.jpeg