vintageaxeman

Question re: Digital outputs from CD players....

Super Wammer
19 minutes ago, meninblack said:

It's a P8i MkII, so with the Esoteric mech but the most basic version of the dCS DAC.  I use it with a Victor XP-DA999 because it sounds better.

I do love dCS stuff, but had never heard of the Victor DAC. A very interesting unit!

Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, radiant red said:

It’s a bit like upscaling on a DVD. Having said that, CD players can only process red book std being 16/44.1 regardless of information being sent to the DAC internally. If CD players have a digital in that is reading 192/24 say from a streaming service then it is possible if the inbuilt DAC has the ability.

Red Book is what it is 16/44.1

I would have agreed with you before I looked into this. However, in the case of teh Arcam MultiDacs, the upsampling chip is BEFORE the DAC chips. WHich would mean, presumably, that the digital output could be taken from end of the upsampling chip, straight to the digital output socket, thereby putting out an upsampled signal. I'm not saying that's what they've done....just that I would think that could be a logical way to go about things, and a huge selling point.

Super Wammer
13 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

I am not an expert on this but i do know that sacd players don`t output dsd from digital output . which is a pain as i have to go direct from the analogue outputs rather than my dac 

I agree...It seems daft that you can't get the full dsd signal from a digital output.....

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, vintageaxeman said:

Thanks Nopiano. That is useful. I have three DACs....only one in use....but none of them have a screen....

I’ve never owned an external DAC, but if I did I’d definitely want to know what was going through it!  If a £99 Dragonfly can do it, albeit with coloured  lights, there’s no excuse really. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
57 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

I am not an expert on this but i do know that sacd players don`t output dsd from digital output . which is a pain as i have to go direct from the analogue outputs rather than my dac 

I believe it was to prevent copying that SACD contains that restriction. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vintageaxeman said:

what I am trying to find out is:

Do spdif digital outputs on integrated cd players always put out 44.1/16?

As I said - if the socket states it is spdif that stands for sony/phillips and is red book (the specifications of the player in question should state the facts about the digital out socket (if it does not have spdif written on it).  If it is not an spdif specification it should say so (and whilst players may have the facility to change the output I have yet to see one that does not feed out red book).  

56 minutes ago, uzzy said:

As I said - if the socket states it is spdif that stands for sony/phillips and is red book (the specifications of the player in question should state the facts about the digital out socket (if it does not have spdif written on it).  If it is not an spdif specification it should say so (and whilst players may have the facility to change the output I have yet to see one that does not feed out red book).  

This is just not correct.

SPDIF is a protocol and spec for data transmission. Bit depths other than 16 bit are OK, as are different sample rates. It may alao be of interest to others that the SPDIF connection can be coaxial and also optical.

To answer the OP; no, not all SPDIF outs are at 16/44.1. For example, the respected Bel Canto CD2 transport does not output at 16/44. Usually they are, but not always.

• Like 2

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, uzzy said:

As I said - if the socket states it is spdif that stands for sony/phillips

Well, I never realised that - thanks uzzy. How have I been using CD this long without knowing that?!

Sony = s, Philips = p, digital = di.  So what does the effin’ f stand for?

5 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Well, I never realised that - thanks uzzy. How have I been using CD this long without knowing that?!

Sony = s, Philips = p, digital = di.  So what does the effin’ f stand for?

Digital InterFace

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

Digital InterFace

Thanks!  Since trying to make a silly joke I looked up Wikipedia.  Restless curiosity! 

Funny how we so often use terms like RCA plug yet rarely think what they mean or meant!

Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Thanks!  Since trying to make a silly joke I looked up Wikipedia.  Restless curiosity! 

Funny how we so often use terms like RCA plug yet rarely think what they mean or meant!

Right Cock Arse? :-)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, vintageaxeman said:

I should have made my question clearer and shorter. Sorry!

what I am trying to find out is:

Do spdif digital outputs on integrated cd players always put out 44.1/16?

Or, in the case of cd players with internal  upsampling chips, do their spdif output sockets actually put out those higher rates, or are the 96/24 or 192/24 only used as part of the internal circuitry en-route to the cd player’s analogue stage?

Anyone know for sure?

They will always output 44/16 unless otherwise stated.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, simon g said:

This is just not correct.

SPDIF is a protocol and spec for data transmission. Bit depths other than 16 bit are OK, as are different sample rates. It may alao be of interest to others that the SPDIF connection can be coaxial and also optical.

To answer the OP; no, not all SPDIF outs are at 16/44.1. For example, the respected Bel Canto CD2 transport does not output at 16/44. Usually they are, but not always.

ermm nope  SPDIF is the sony/phillips digital interface which is red book  Yes it is generally accepted that it is now used to mean digital interface but I have yet to see a machine that has spdif that cannot transmit red book (although there may be someone out there misleading people)  ..   hence Bel canto do have provision to set the output  )if your external DAC does not accept 96kHz), sample rate to 48kHz.  Mind you why you would want to connect this to a different DAC escapes  me.  So in my book it is red book (or has the provision to be) but with the option of a higher rate if you want it :) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, uzzy said:

ermm nope  SPDIF is the sony/phillips digital interface which is red book

Surround sound formats are not “Red Book” but use SPDIF. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

Surround sound formats are not “Red Book” but use SPDIF. 

You are correct - but I did say I have yet to see a cd player where the spdif was not capable of outputting at red book .. they also call video digital outputs spdif - bloody nuisance innit :) 

• Like 1