gilbodavid

A mystery

Not listened to my system much the last year. Main listening is tidal through raspberry pi into iqaudio DAC into transformer pre into really nice 20w class a amp, into loathers, then eminent technology lft16's, and for now yamaha soavo 2 standmounters. Squeezer controlled all this through my android phone. 

I put my non listening down to busyness and audio fatigue. .

Then a few days ago I started to wonder, and on impulse plugged my iPad into the preamp via the cheapest 3m interconnect on the planet, and suddenly and immediately some of that musician in the room magic was back! Gobsmacked. 

I'm sitting here now listening, and wondering why. I have 2 Allo DACs on raspberry pis to plug in and see if that helps, but haven't got round to it.

So why is this iPad, with its cheap DAC, such a nice performer? 

I've spent 2days googling, got wound up by DAC threads and opinion etc etc, and yet here I am.

• Like 1

Did you use USB in your first setup? I hate USB for audio, its bad.

Super Dealer
Did you use USB in your first setup? I hate USB for audio, its bad.
Such a silly statement....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Juancho said:

Such a silly statement....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Cool story bro.

Super Dealer

'i tried a phono lead once, it was useless for audio'

9 minutes ago, Juancho said:

Was it? tough times bro.

8 hours ago, gilbodavid said:

Not listened to my system much the last year. Main listening is tidal through raspberry pi into iqaudio DAC into transformer pre into really nice 20w class a amp, into loathers, then eminent technology lft16's, and for now yamaha soavo 2 standmounters. Squeezer controlled all this through my android phone. 

Then a few days ago I started to wonder, and on impulse plugged my iPad into the preamp via the cheapest 3m interconnect on the planet, and suddenly and immediately some of that musician in the room magic was back! Gobsmacked. 

I'm sitting here now listening, and wondering why. I have 2 Allo DACs on raspberry pis to plug in and see if that helps, but haven't got round to it.

I've spent 2days googling, got wound up by DAC threads and opinion etc etc, and yet here I am.

There’s been a few posts like this on various forums over the last few years, and I’ve had a similar experience moving more to headphone listening this year ... too lazy to pop upstairs to grab a head amp or dac and had a lovely old time listening directly from my iPhone into Shure cans.  

That said, is ‘cheap’ the right word to use here? iPhones and iPads are actually pretty expensive, and that’s even factoring in the mass manufacture. Huge, huge investment goes into the R&D - hundreds of millions of pounds more then would ever be committed to a Hifi project, and the dac chips per se are household names in Hifi circles  ... wolfson, cirrus etc. Imagine how much say, Naim, would have to justify charging for an iPhone 11! It’s a moot point, they just couldn’t design it.

So maybe we shouldn’t be so surprised when these devices actually sound pretty darn good. They aren’t hifi products, sure, but super-designed state of the art electronics made by some of the biggest companies in the world. 

Looking at it like that and spinning the OP on its head for a moment - I guess we should actually be more surprised if we plugged them in and they sounded crap! 😁

Edited by lordmortlock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, lordmortlock said:

They aren’t hifi products,

Looking at the respective output / DAC circuits in isolation, in most HiFi / half decent phone upwards you would be hard pressed to tell the difference, I would like to think. Unless it has valves in of course. On a tangent i am listening to a £20 technika TV tuner tuned to radio 3, ok it looks like an 80's clock radio, but the sound is acceptable and at least as good or better than any other radio receiver I have used, except streaming through a decent DAC perhaps.....

Edited by dave

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, gilbodavid said:

I have heard people say, all dacs sound the same :D :minikev:

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, greybeard said:

I have heard people say, all dacs sound the same :D :minikev:

Nope they all sound different but the problem is none of em sound right and so we keep searching for more, as none of em sound as good as vinyl :sofa:

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, toprepairman said:

Or as bad, depending on your particular inclination, where's that sofa.

Hard to say as you do not quote the equipment in your set up :D  but it is rare for someone to compare like for like price wise when comparing digital versus vinyl.   My turntable arm cartridge set up cost me about the same as my Meridian 506  20 bit cd player and sounded soooooooo much better.   The biggest problem for us music lovers is so much of the music we love was recorded on analogue gear and I have yet to hear an AAD cd come close to playing the original vinyl.   DDD recordings may be a different proposition . Hence if any of the stuff you have on digital is AAD then if you haven't heard it on the original vinyl unfortunately you haven't heard it as it should sound :D 

Edited by uzzy
correction

Indeed.

I did some time ago have a loan of an SME M40 with series V arm, fitted with a brand new Ortophon Rohmann  cart and it was utterly sublime, even my somewhat worn out old vinyl sounded incredible. The main snag being the cost. On the other hand a second hand Sony CD player for 20 quid also gives great results.

4 hours ago, toprepairman said:

The main snag being the cost. On the other hand a second hand Sony CD player for 20 quid also gives great results.

Sorry to come back on this - but you miss my point. 

AAD CDs in the main tend to sound crap however cheap or expensive the CD player :) 

The same is not true of a reasonable budget Turntable and modest cartridge which will sound sooooo much better  (which of course will cost a tad more than a £20 second hand CD player) but if you love the music then it is a small price to pay.   Of course if you do not have the original vinyl then there comes the problem in that many of the old recordings have in the interim been remastered (usually badly) and the quality of the recording on new vinyl of old titles is not guaranteed.   However that is not true of all - and so us enthusiasts read reviews from forums and hifi publications to determine what vinyl we are going to buy.

I am no purist and there are very few new albums I buy on vinyl (much to my 23 year old son's disgust as he collects all his music on vinyl) as I find that I do enjoy well produced modern DDD recordings on CD and they are so darn convenient and easy to maintain.

On 14/09/2019 at 00:00, Juancho said:

Me too. I popped two of them on stands and they kind of just sat there. No sound came out of them at all.