billthewiz

Proac D1 with a subwoofer ?

Hi I’m considering using a sub with my D1 speakers for that low bass that’s missing would a Rel T- Zero sub work? as the sub has to be small or am I better moving to floor standing speakers?  Anyone else using this combo?   My setup is 

Amp Sonneteer Orton mk2

TT. Clearaudio Concept 

cheers. 

10 minutes ago, billthewiz said:

Hi I’m considering using a sub with my D1 speakers for that low bass that’s missing would a Rel T- Zero sub work? as the sub has to be small or am I better moving to floor standing speakers?  Anyone else using this combo?   My setup is 

Amp Sonneteer Orton mk2

TT. Clearaudio Concept 

cheers. 

I had a Rel T7i or T9i in my system, can't remember which, for nearly a week last year.  I have Proac 1SC.

My wife and I both hated it.  Proceed with care.  Some folk love them though.   I suspect that a Rel t-zero would not be good/big enough.  

The other option is to look at fuller range speakers.  Proac D18, D20r etc.

Most small Proacs work well with some valves somewhere in the chain.

Demo if you can at home.

• Like 1

Hi thanks for your input yeah I’m in the will I won’t i but in general I really enjoy the sound but sometimes miss the lower bass. Don’t want to go valves as happy with my Sonneteer. Could try the D2 or as you suggested one of the floorstanding models. 

The best integration between a small speaker and a sub was with a JL sub and a pair of LS3/5a clones. This pairing was rather good and I believe also had an outing at the Wam show, curiosity if Greybeard and Eddie of this parish.

I would strongly recommend trying a high quality non ported sub - I use an REL Strata V very successfully with my 1SCs - you get retain (and even enhance) all the qualities of the speakers, but with added bass - if done carefully, there really is no downside - I am extremely sceptical about more recent REL products, if I were buying new now, I'd look at the B&W PV1 - maybe you could order something on approval? I have no plans to change my speakers, and ultimately a 2.1 arrangement is far more adaptable to different rooms etc

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moo-fi said:

Eddie

Fred I think Eddie used tiny ProAcs and a Creative sub , @eddie-baby check in mate .

34 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Fred I think Eddie used tiny ProAcs and a Creative sub , @eddie-baby check in mate .

I used ProAc Satellites last this year at Kegworth if thats what you mean Baz. It wasnt no Creative sub though. It was one of these

https://www.sunfire.com/product/single-8-1000w-powered-subwoofer-black-lacquer-HRS8

Pretty decent little sub actually. Not quite the JL Audio like Fred mentioned that we were using one time in one of his bake offs, but its tiny in comparison and still very good, even though the JL wasn't exactly a huge sub either. Both powerful little sealed subs though, the JL just more so.  

Edited by eddie-baby

1 minute ago, eddie-baby said:

It wasn't no Creative sub though

wasn't too sure I think someone was talking about one at the time .

4 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

wasn't too sure I think someone was talking about one at the time .

Those Creative subs can be little beasts though. Not much finesse but they certainly can pack some clout. Just like a lot of other creative gear, there are some hidden gems there.  

One of their older subs was notoriously loud/powerful for something that was basically a PC speaker set up. Cant remember the exact model number now :( But it was a wild little thing. Im sure its a discontinued model.

Used the following speakers with my REL T5, it does a great job ... Harbeth P3ESR, ProAc Tablette Anniversary, Klipsch RP600M, Sony SS CS5.