radiant red

Thorens TD125 MKll rebuild

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, orbscure said:

Take a look at the thread below Jonathan, it details a similar restoration I did to an already tidy TD125 Mk II:

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/120154-updating-a-standard-td125-mkii/?tab=comments#comment-2100875

I bought it with a Micro Seiki arm, but changed to a Jelco 750D and then a Jelco TK850S, both of which did a sterling job :) 

Absolutely brilliant Pete thanks

Have you still got it?

Super Wammer

Looks like a Russ Collinson plinth too

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, radiant red said:

Absolutely brilliant Pete thanks

Have you still got it?

My pleasure Jonathan.. and nope, I moved her on when my SP10 itch became too much to ignore. In an ideal world, I’d love to have kept her but my HiFi merry go around requires me to sell to buy 😄

I bought the plinth from eBay and off the top I can’t remember the seller, but there may be a link in the thread...

Edited by orbscure

Super Wammer

Done a bit of digging, the plinth link in my previous thread doesn't work any more but I think that the seller Design & Sound in Hungary can be found here under the DASacustic moniker :) 

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, orbscure said:

Done a bit of digging, the plinth link in my previous thread doesn't work any more but I think that the seller Design & Sound in Hungary can be found here under the DASacustic moniker :) 

Thanks Pete.. they look stunning 

Super Wammer

Was thinking of this to match my Harbeths 

B2DF2F99-A030-43C3-A950-860D31EE7EC8.jpeg

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, radiant red said:

Was thinking of this to match my Harbeths 

Nice piece of woodwork - I wonder if the lack of corner bracing might be an issue in later years (wasn't thinking sound wise was thinking more of the corners coming apart later in life).  There is a chap on ebay who makes Acrylic lids that would finish it off a treat :) 

• Like 2

Super Wammer
13 hours ago, uzzy said:

Nice piece of woodwork - I wonder if the lack of corner bracing might be an issue in later years (wasn't thinking sound wise was thinking more of the corners coming apart later in life).  There is a chap on ebay who makes Acrylic lids that would finish it off a treat :) 

It’s one of Russ Collinsons 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

With my Lenco I did a plinth like that as a prototype but was not happy with it. I then did a ‘solid’ plinth with a cutout just for the motor and it was a huge difference. Much easier to do on a Lenco though. 

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, DomT said:

With my Lenco I did a plinth like that as a prototype but was not happy with it. I then did a ‘solid’ plinth with a cutout just for the motor and it was a huge difference. Much easier to do on a Lenco though. 

The Thorens TD150  is a suspended subchassis so it is virtually impossible to do a solid plinth.  Harbeth with their turntable used a skeletal subchassis which allowed them to make a solid plinth with it carved out for the subchassis to float.

Some people have turned their Thorens (usually TD150s) into non suspended on a solid plinth.   This is in the minority though as of course there are those who feel the suspended type provides much better insulation from vibrations etc.  I do not wish to enter an argument as to which is better - whatever floats your boat does ir for me ..

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, uzzy said:

The Thorens TD150  is a suspended subchassis so it is virtually impossible to do a solid plinth.  Harbeth with their turntable used a skeletal subchassis which allowed them to make a solid plinth with it carved out for the subchassis to float.

Some people have turned their Thorens (usually TD150s) into non suspended on a solid plinth.   This is in the minority though as of course there are those who feel the suspended type provides much better insulation from vibrations etc.  I do not wish to enter an argument as to which is better - whatever floats your boat does ir for me ..

Interesting. Good to know. Thanks

• Like 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, DomT said:

Interesting. Good to know. Thanks

3 hours ago, DomT said:

It should have read Heybrook (not Harbeth) Turntable TT2  and the first ones may have had an open plinth (like the Thorens and Linn) but the later ones were like this

Image result for heybrook tt2 turntable imagesImage result for heybrook tt2 turntable images

Edited by uzzy

41 minutes ago, uzzy said:

It should have read Heybrook (not Harbeth) Turntable TT2  and the first ones may have had an open plinth (like the Thorens and Linn) but the later ones were like this

Over at AOS the designer Shane has provided a background to the development and said the removal of the voids was a design feature of the Heybrook TT2 from the outset.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
37 minutes ago, cre009 said:

Over at AOS the designer Shane has provided a background to the development and said the removal of the voids was a design feature of the Heybrook TT2 from the outset.

I do smile when he hear the word designed - when in most cases it is a modification of the design - the Heybrook was probably the closest to the Thorens TD150 out of all the later suspended subchassis turntables.   Mind you the original Linn was Hamish (ariston) taking a TD150 as a starting point and doing a more substantial subchassis and platter system.  Mind you the TD160 came out in 72 (the same year as the original Ariston RD11) with the more substantial subchassis which had a better more rigid arm mount than the 150 with a long arm board.  Anyway here is the TD150 subchassis if you are interested  Image result for thorens td150 images 

Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I do smile when he hear the word designed - when in most cases it is a modification of the design - the Heybrook was probably the closest to the Thorens TD150 out of all the later suspended subchassis turntables.   Mind you the original Linn was Hamish (ariston) taking a TD150 as a starting point and doing a more substantial subchassis and platter system.  Mind you the TD160 came out in 72 (the same year as the original Ariston RD11) with the more substantial subchassis which had a better more rigid arm mount than the 150 with a long arm board.  Anyway here is the TD150 subchassis if you are interested  Image result for thorens td150 images 

Think the AR Turntable predated those and there is not that much difference from that to any of the main suspended TT that followed . Additions and wrinkles but no major differences .

• Like 1