radiant red

Thorens TD125 MKll rebuild

I’m just about to undertake another turntable rebuild and having sorted most of what I need and want for it. The only item I am undecided on is which 9” tonearm to use.. 

Ive used Rega on just about everything in the past but I want to go a different route. Suggestions would be most welcome. I’m looking to spend no more than £500 on a new or used.

The cartridge that will be used is a Denon DL103R

Cheers

Audiomods 5 ?

Great arm and superb value.

TD125 & SME 3009 series 2 improved. A classic combo for good reason.

• Like 1

Yes, thought of the 3009 but wanted to give it a bit of a lift and modernise 

12 hours ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

Audiomods 5 ?

Great arm and superb value.

Looks good.. not sure if it will compliment the Denon tho

Super Wammer

I would recommend an original Mission 774 arm (not LC version) . This arm is very neutral and can handle both MM and MC coil cartirdges . It has almost complete adjustment for all aspects (VTA , Damping , Bias etc) .

I personally view this as a current bargain at the prices it sels for and it stands up to most arms in regards sound quality . A decent example given a full service would come in under £500 and sound better than most under £1500 .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radiant red said:

Looks good.. not sure if it will compliment the Denon tho

Headshell weights help,  and we're up to Series 6 now :geek:

9 hours ago, bencat said:

I would recommend an original Mission 774 arm (not LC version) . This arm is very neutral and can handle both MM and MC coil cartirdges . It has almost complete adjustment for all aspects (VTA , Damping , Bias etc) .

I personally view this as a current bargain at the prices it sels for and it stands up to most arms in regards sound quality . A decent example given a full service would come in under £500 and sound better than most under £1500 .

What he said - SME arms of yesteryear with knife edge bearings were built for low mass and high compliance MMs - they are not ideal with MCs but do improve is your fit the SME damping trough and paddle.

I use a Mission 774 so I am biased but do feel it is one of the best univeral arms you can buy - and what is important to me is it works well with a Decca (something the SME will not do).  

Super Wammer

I believe one or two brand new Jelco models cost less than £500.  I’ve no personal experience of them, however.  

7 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I believe one or two brand new Jelco models cost less than £500.  I’ve no personal experience of them, however.  

Yes, I’ve looked and had experience with them in the past. Been looking at the 550s but a bit more than what I want to spend unless one day I move it on something else.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

You might get a S/H Wand classic tone arm for that money.

I use a Jelco 750D on a Michell. It really benefitted from an Audio Origami internal re-wire as well as changing the external cable to an Audio Note one. Loads more detail and better tone etc. I am also using a Yokohama headshell. 

On my custom Lenco I use the new Audio Note II/II arm (not the previous modified Rega one). I bought the Audio Note arm from an SME dealer who told me that the SME would sound cumbersome by comparison. A secondhand one would be within budget.

I used to have a Raven AC with Phantom tonearm and sold it after 12 months as the Lenco/Audio Note had more grunt and sounded more musical. It really only lost out on detail. 

Never had the opportunity to compare my two arms though on the same deck. 

• Like 1

Just to add that if you get the Jelco then you need a collar from ammonite audio £51.  It holds the arm more securely.  I have the first iteration and am not familiar with the current model.

Super Wammer

Take a look at the thread below Jonathan, it details a similar restoration I did to an already tidy TD125 Mk II:

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/120154-updating-a-standard-td125-mkii/?tab=comments#comment-2100875

I bought it with a Micro Seiki arm, but changed to a Jelco 750D and then a Jelco TK850S, both of which did a sterling job :) 

Edited by orbscure

Nice info Dom.. I am steering towards Jelco.

interestingly as I am going to have a new plinth, I have thought about having one to take a 12” arm