Sign in to follow this  
jaffrie

Best KT88 for dialogue 7

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to check what's your fav KT88. Besides stock Im also running Genelax & also Psvane Grey bootles.

For my set up I find the Genelex a little defused though transparency is good, vocals a little thin. Psvane pretty good

but not as transparent but all else  better then Genelax.

Cheers & thks

I've moved this to the general 2-channel section, because it's probably better there. I'm sure others will comment. I'll add some thoughts later, but I have to go and see one of the few remaining clients I have :D

The Gold Lion reissues are the Genalex. Unless we're talking about the originals, in which case all bets are off!

I had the Gold lions in my John Wood KT88 amp they sounded fine , maybe I'm not fussy enough , I was recommended to buy these valves by John Wood 

The Dialogue 7 has a 'real' adaptive autobias circuit, so the choice is not I would suggest between different types of KT88, but rather between different valves althogether. The differences between modern production KT88s are very small and it's difficult to make recommendations as manufacture can change. Not only that, but some supposed 'makes' are actually made by someone else, so you can have two supposedly different KT88s that are actually identical apart from the name on them.

The 7 can take EL34, EL37, 6550, KT88, KT90, 6L6GC, KT66 and 7581. Plus equivalents.

The big caveat here is that other people's experience might be indicative, but every amplifier and every circuit is different. An 'A is better than B' in one amplfier might well be the other way round in a different amp. If you haven't tried different types, it might be worthwhile. However, if it is the Dialogue 7, then that's eight power valves, so just experimenting is not a cheap and easy option. In general, EL34s will give you a more 'valve' sound, with really good mids but possibly a little softer bass and less top end sparkle. KT90s are thin on the ground. AFAIK, there are nly Electro Harmonix and Tung Sol variants in production and whether either would be an improvement is debatable. You could look at the 6550 'winged C' Svetlanas, which I have used in a few amps in the past and been very happy with. However, they're about £120 each, so maybe not...

Really, the only more serious differences would be if you could find older NOS valves, but forget it. The 'real' ones are insane prices and any that are cheap are fakes. And there are plenty of those...

The one thing we haven't mentioned is the small signal valves. Each mono has a pair of 12AU7s and a pair of 12AX7s. Those are likely to make probably a greater difference. It's not clear what does what though and if one or two are phase splitters, they won't make much difference. OTOH, as long as you don't go mad, small signal tubes are relatively cheap! My money would be on the 12AX7s being prime candidates for signal gain, but that's no more than a guesstimate.

• Like 1

I played about with ...gold lions but I did like EH 6550 when I had my prima luna …...good post rabs.