Audio Al

Technics 1200G or what ?

Super Dealer

I presume you had identical turntables, with identical tone arms and identical cartridges so you could verify unsighted these gains?

Thought not.

Keith

5 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

I presume you had identical turntables, with identical tone arms and identical cartridges so you could verify unsighted these gains?

Thought not.

Keith

Actually I did!!! I’ve built a few and at the time your referring to, they were two identical LP12’s be it one black. Both fed into the same phonostage and had the same cartridge! Next insult? 

2 hours ago, antonio66 said:

Congrats on your purchase Al, let us know your thoughts when you get the chance.

Thanks 

I am a Technics fan boy still have a 1200 and a 1210 , Always wanted a 1200G , Excited to see what its all about :D

• Like 1

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, radiant red said:

Actually I did!!! I’ve built a few and at the time your referring to, they were two identical LP12’s be it one black. Both fed into the same phonostage and had the same cartridge! Next insult? 

Good for you, so few bother to rigorously  compare, here’s mine from a few years back.

B01-B050-F-3683-40-BF-98-AC-50-A81-F3218

Keith

41 minutes ago, Audio Al said:

Always wanted a 1200G , Excited to see what its all about :D

Have you got it yet :pop:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bazzer said:

Have you got it yet :pop:

Collecting Sunday evening , will have it up and running Monday

00.01 am B|

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Audio Al said:

Collecting Sunday evening , will have it up and running Monday

00.01 am B|

I have a 1210 Mk5 and a 1210 Mk5g.  Both in use and have various upgrades.  Very interested to hear your impressions Al.  I suspect the new motor will be a good thing. 

5 hours ago, Andrei said:

I have a 1210 Mk5 and a 1210 Mk5g.  Both in use and have various upgrades.  Very interested to hear your impressions Al.  I suspect the new motor will be a good thing. 

I also had a full blown 1210 , strathbone feet / Mike new bearing / Mike new ETP platter / Time step HE power supply , That was very very good . Origin live encounter MK3c arm , Shelter 5000 cart , still have the arm and cart waiting for another project B|

Have you seen the video of the making of the new 1200G ? , They contacted the remaining engineers who made the original 1200 / 1210 to design the full blown 1200G 

11 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Good for you, so few bother to rigorously  compare, here’s mine from a few years back.

Keith

Far easier to compare with those decks. LP12’s much more complex when changing the arm cable. Swapped cable on both decks to be sure. The standard LP12 Ittok cable is pretty poor.

Definitely a big lift changing the stock cable on my old SL1210 throughout 

Super Dealer

My experience is that perceived differences often disappear when compared unsighted.

Keith

6 hours ago, Audio Al said:

I also had a full blown 1210 , strathbone feet / Mike new bearing / Mike new ETP platter / Time step HE power supply , That was very very good . Origin live encounter MK3c arm , Shelter 5000 cart , still have the arm and cart waiting for another project B|

Have you seen the video of the making of the new 1200G ? , They contacted the remaining engineers who made the original 1200 / 1210 to design the full blown 1200G 

Had not seen that clip - thanks for link.  It has a slightly exaggerated artisan look, but impressive all the same.  I do have a niggle and that is with the platter.  I see they show a rubber underlay of the aluminium platter.  Of course a rubber underlay is an improvement over a bare aluminium platter.  My concerns are twofold.  One is whether rubber is the optimum material - surely things have advanced over the 1970s.  Second the method of attachment of that underlay.  In the Mk2 (all the way to the Mk5) there were just a few squirts of glue to hold the platter to the rubber underlay.  So only about 25 - 33% of the rubber underlay was bonded to the platter.  I know this because  I have stripped half a dozen platters of their rubber underlay (and replaced it with dynamat or different epoxys).  You may wish to hold the platter by the center and tap the edge with a spoon.  With any luck you not hear much resonance.

Actually I would love to have such a TT as well but I have two working SL1210s already, one in my main rig and one in my office.  The ridiculous thing is that I am fantasizing about a third TT when I even have a third TT - another 1210Mk5g even!  It is just sitting in storage (when I bought a 'second' it was actually a pair).  Anyway, I still want the vicarious pleasure of hearing of the new series.

PS what are the strathbone feet?  (I have used isonoes and maglevs but have not heard of the strathbones).

15 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

VTA looks way out on the left hand deck.

Super Dealer

Both based on Technics internals!

Keith

6 hours ago, Andrei said:

Had not seen that clip - thanks for link.  It has a slightly exaggerated artisan look, but impressive all the same.  I do have a niggle and that is with the platter.  I see they show a rubber underlay of the aluminium platter.  Of course a rubber underlay is an improvement over a bare aluminium platter.  My concerns are twofold.  One is whether rubber is the optimum material - surely things have advanced over the 1970s.  Second the method of attachment of that underlay.  In the Mk2 (all the way to the Mk5) there were just a few squirts of glue to hold the platter to the rubber underlay.  So only about 25 - 33% of the rubber underlay was bonded to the platter.  I know this because  I have stripped half a dozen platters of their rubber underlay (and replaced it with dynamat or different epoxys).  You may wish to hold the platter by the center and tap the edge with a spoon.  With any luck you not hear much resonance.

Actually I would love to have such a TT as well but I have two working SL1210s already, one in my main rig and one in my office.  The ridiculous thing is that I am fantasizing about a third TT when I even have a third TT - another 1210Mk5g even!  It is just sitting in storage (when I bought a 'second' it was actually a pair).  Anyway, I still want the vicarious pleasure of hearing of the new series.

PS what are the strathbone feet?  (I have used isonoes and maglevs but have not heard of the strathbones).

Doh ! typical me , spelling wrong these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Isolation-Pads/Fonotek-Sorbothane-Hemispheres-Isolation-Adhesive/B015KUKVI0