Sign in to follow this  
Speedracer

Art Audio Quintet valve power amp for sale.

Super Wammer

For sale is my beautiful, fantastic sounding Art Audio Quintet valve power amp. As you can see from the pictures it is the full chrome version, quite literally the only bad point of this amp is that it is so shiny it is really difficult to take good photographs, but I have done my best.

From the factory this could be run in pentode push pull mode or triode single ended, & this particular amp was modded so it can now operates solely in triode single ended mode, rated at 15 watts per channel. This amp of course runs in class A. It has been quite extensively modified by Kevin Scott of Definitive Audio, adding a decent amount of cash to the original purchase price of this amp, around £4k. Tom, the owner of Art Audio, serviced this amp a few years ago & commented that it was performing as it should & was pretty maxed out in terms of performance. I do believe that this amp has been owned & loved by 1 or 2 members of this parish in the past, & might possibly know more about it than I do.
It has been such a joy to own, the sound is light years away from the misconception that valve amps are warm & cuddly, easily drives my 90dB speakers beyond what I am comfortable listening to. Bass is strong & well defined, the highs are sweet & the midrange is just divine, with a huge soundstage, you can feel the air & space in recordings.
I use Sovtek EL34 valves along with a pair of ECC83 PS Vane valves & a pair of ECC82 PS Vane valves of input & output. I have tried NOS exotic valves, eg Mullard, Telefunken, RCA & Brimar, & they do make a subtle difference, but I prefer the PS Vanes. The amp will come with a spare set of EL34's, as well as the current set, & I will include a spare pair each of the 83's & 82's if I can find some good ones.

I will not post this amp, I do not have the original box & it is far too heavy to trust to a courier, so I am happy to deliver within say 100 miles of BH22 9BW, or further for a contribution to my fuel costs. Collection is much preferred however. I travelled to Wales to buy it & I doubt anyone interested in this would be put off by having to collect it.
I am asking £950 for this amp, which considering it's quality is a bargain.

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3

If there’s a better looking amplifier out there I don’t want to know about it. Just stunning. 

• Like 2

Super Wammer

I’ve heard and loved this little amp with a big heart. I’ve been looking for something of exactly this format to fit on our kitchen shelves and it would take pride of place. 

Sorry you have to let it go Brook but would you agree to your gorgeous amp finding its way to a good friend so you can still hear it whenever you visit? Not to mention it will keep our big little dog toasty.

The Wilsons are I believe about 93dB.

You might be quite surprised if you glue them together, and the Modwright will drive them perfectly :D

Super Wammer

Alas Rich the Wilsons may soon be going back to their old owner (and in any case not even American kitchens tend to have WPs, let alone a flat in Blighty).

I’ll have to check John’s bake off threads but IIRC we had my Revel Gems powered by the Quintet and it was rather lovely, albeit they really sang with a 70W Rogue amp (formerly Jack’s), also by coincidence heavily modified by Definitive. I’ll be looking for some interesting front-ported or sealed small speakers to pair with this. A pair of Royd Atoms caught my fancy (side-ported!) but they aren’t very high efficiency, nor are most matching that description.

Super Wammer

Hi Jamie, I remember the bake off in question, Bowie sounded particularly moving that day.

You know when you have to let go of something you treasure, & you want to vet potential buyers to make sure they will carry on the love? Well, I couldn't think of a more suited person to be it's next custodian.

Brook.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/snell-type-k-mk1-speakers.231579/

Having used a quintet with AN Ks recently, I can confirm they drive them easily and sound pretty darn good together. 

Has this sold now then? 

Brook,

If you still have this, or Jamie does, would it be possible to bring to my bake-off ? These Horns at 110 db efficient really don't need the power of the Mastersound or Plinius, very curious to try them with something this low powered (it can wave at the Rogue..):D

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, Speedracer said:

Hi Jamie, I remember the bake off in question, Bowie sounded particularly moving that day.

You know when you have to let go of something you treasure, & you want to vet potential buyers to make sure they will carry on the love? Well, I couldn't think of a more suited person to be it's next custodian.

Brook.

Thanks Brook, I’m very touched. Over to PM

And Joolz, of course, knowing the way of things your bake might be where it gets passed on. Much looking forward to it. 

Super amp which I have heard in quite a few different systems now, including the Bake Off referred to above, and most recently, at Brook's domus in Poole. Its lovely.

A timely sale for Brook and a tonic for the Yorkshireman. Well done Jamie, and well spoken.

Jack

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

Super Wammer

Sorry I was a bit tardy here, but the Quintet is now sold.