mrsoul

Border Patrol Power Supply

Hi, I currently use an Audio Innovations P2 phono preamp along with an Audio Note Jinro into Audio Note E speakers, source is a Voyd .5 turntable, Audio Note arm and IQ3 cartridge

I was looking at possibly adding a border patrol or similar power supply to the P2, firstly is it worth it and if so who could fit it. I'm in the midlands.

Thanks Phil

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, mrsoul said:

Hi, I currently use an Audio Innovations P2 phono preamp along with an Audio Note Jinro into Audio Note E speakers, source is a Voyd .5 turntable, Audio Note arm and IQ3 cartridge

I was looking at possibly adding a border patrol or similar power supply to the P2, firstly is it worth it and if so who could fit it. I'm in the midlands.

Thanks Phil

I had two Border Patrol power supplies with my Second Audios (indeed I kept the power supplies when I sold the amplifiers) and they made a BIG difference to the power amps. To buy a Border Patrol power supply is now an expensive exercise if you can get hold of one but I am sure that it should be easy to get someone to fit it for you. It is not very difficult if (that is a big if) you know what you are doing.

The other option of course is just to put the money towards a different pre amp.

David Wright at Border Patrol can answer your questions,  if he is still around.

43 minutes ago, mrsoul said:

Thanks Phil

David Wright is retired now. 

I haven’t heard a BP PS on a P2 but it’s supposed to be a worthwhile upgrade. 

Definitive Audio could fit it and probably a few other places. 

I wouldn't touch the power supply.

The BP supplies can (and usually do) make a positive difference to power amps. Preamps/phonos are a different ballgame entirely.

The P2 in particular actually has a very competent power supply. The Border Patrol has a choke/capacitor/coke/capacitor filter layout, but the P2 actually uses active valve regulation as well as filtering. If anything, changing that could well take away the rather lovely presentation. There was a suggested mofidication by another designer that altered the way the regulator was in circuit, but that wouldn't be an external supply and would involve quite serious modifications.

There are 'better' improvements that could be made to the L2, but the power supply isn't one of them. The signal capacitors in the original were paper-in-oil, which could certainly be improved on, though don't expect 'day and night'.

I'd spend the money on better valves before touching anything else.