robbie010

Are Late Garrard 401 Linkages Cadmium Coated?

Super Wammer

Hi all,

I did a bit of a tear down on my 401 this evening, slowly, very slowly! I was very happy to see that the deck looks almost new underneath, very clean, lightly greased and the little rubbers etc are like new.

However, at the same time as tinkering I am researching and reading and was shocked to read that the linkages may have a toxic cadmium coating. :nerves:

From what I can tell I have a late model 401, it has a raised strobe light with chrome surround, a one piece legend around the controls and there is an ink stamp on the underside that reads 346. My research suggests this is a date stamp for week 46, 1973.

Can anyone tell me, do these late model 401’s have the cadmium coating???

Probably are Cadmium plated, but unless you are into sucking your TT, I wouldn’t worry too much.

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

It's the raw material and the process of plating that's the poisoness element. Once plated its perfectly okay unless you decide to use the parts like throat lozenges, and even then you would need to consume quite a lot for a detrimental effect to surface. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Funkpig said:

Probably are Cadmium plated, but unless you are into sucking your TT, I wouldn’t worry too much.

Would French kissing count?

• Like 1