glenhb

See Corporation Revolver Turntable +ADC LMF-2 Arm Cartridge Choice

Hello,

Looking for advice on a suitable cartridge for my Revolver + ADC LMF-2.

I've owned this setup from new (about 1983) and was thinking of changing it when I read a HiFi Choice article (April 2019)

that said you would need to spend £1000 today to match it. So I thought if its that good why not try a "better" cartridge first.

Currently using an AT95EX but over the years have used Ortofon, Nagaoka and Shure cartridges.

I@ve read good reports on the AT-F2 mc and the AT VM95ML mm cartridges but will they be a good match for the ADC arm

which has an effective mass of only 6g.

Grateful for any advice.  

Glenhb

Don't know your arm, but the AT150mlx has pretty high compliance for a modern cart - I even briefly had mine on an Odyssey Black Widow - it's the best MM I've ever had and could always find a place on a replacement deck as and when - not really sure I agree with the assessment of the Revolver - auditioned one back in the eighties vs a Systemdek IIX and the latter was comprehensively better... YMMV etc

Super Wammer

I always liked Grado cartridges and some of their more expensive ones used to get good reviews. If I remember rightly the only draw back was they could be prone to hum but I never had any issues.

You could consider the Paratrace stylus for your AT, or (less expensive) the LP Gear stylus that is said to be very good indeed...

https://theaudiofiles.co.uk/95p-paratrace-stylus-for-at95e-cartridge/

https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN95VL.html

23 hours ago, glenhb said:

Hello,

Looking for advice on a suitable cartridge for my Revolver + ADC LMF-2.

I've owned this setup from new (about 1983) and was thinking of changing it when I read a HiFi Choice article (April 2019)

that said you would need to spend £1000 today to match it. So I thought if its that good why not try a "better" cartridge first.

Currently using an AT95EX but over the years have used Ortofon, Nagaoka and Shure cartridges.

I@ve read good reports on the AT-F2 mc and the AT VM95ML mm cartridges but will they be a good match for the ADC arm

which has an effective mass of only 6g.

Grateful for any advice.  

Glenhb

The Revolver is ok - IMO on a par with the Rega Planars of the day and behind the Systemdeks, Thorens and Regas of the day - the ADC arm is a low mass affair best suited to Moving Magnet Cartidges.  A Rega P2 is about £400 with a much more versatile arm in the RB250 or whatever they call they latest jobby. 

Stick to MM cartridges and enjoy it - as you would have to spend at least £400 to get summat that sounds marginally better.