mr neds

Beresford Caiman SEG sound modes?

Hi all. looked for a thread on this, but couldn't find one, so here goes! I bought one of these from Mikey b over at AOS. Just plumbed it in, so starting to tinker. There's no explanation as to what the sound modes do (at least not that I can understand). Anyone care to enlighten me, in simple audio terms?

Cheers

Neds

Super Wammer

Never used one of these DAC's or owned one which is a surprise as I have made a hobby collecting cheap DAC's . A brief read about this facility is that it is a control on how any digital files or signal is timed . You have the option of using the SPDIF Clock that is in the digital file , XTAL processing using a crystal oscillator , Using a PLL clock which is generated within the DAC , finally Data recovered mode which is I think were both the internal clock and SPDIF timing are compared and the timing is then improved or matched to obtin the best possible DATA packets .  Will wait for someone who has a better technical grasp than me to correct any mistakes but I hope this at least provides a flavour of what this is .sim

Final results with the above are similar to people switching the input from SPDIF to AES to I2S . Each is different and some users claim that one sounds better than the other. The differences are almost always (unless there is an instance where it is badly implemented in the design) very small but some listeners swear by the change .

What you will hear is open for you to decide. In my view when timing is improved then the notes start and stop quicker and the sound has a crisper sound les smeared but this is oftne very marginal . Nice to have but often forgotten after a few hours listening .

• Like 1

Andrew, you are a lord! I looked up Phase Locked Loop and crystal oscillator, which I couldn't apply to the real world! Your final sentence, I think, says it all. I know there's extensive blather about this on the AOS site, but you've been the most comprehensible by far. Cheers and a great weekend to you, sir.

Tried them with speakers and headphones. Buggered if I can tell any difference. It’s either subtle/needs a long listen to each filter, or- just not there!

Super Wammer

I have to admit and I am just as guilty us obsessives often hear very small differences and then go off with evangelical zeal to tell all those that will listen how night and day the difference is. In nearly every case it is only a small change and after a very short time becomes the normal. Those changes made that can still manifest themselves a couple of days later and even months later are very rare but when you find one hold on to it.