Paulssurround

Nominated For The Least Organized Music Library Files?

9 hours ago, DavidHB said:

That would be Simon Nash, author of MinimServer, not Simon from Linn ... :) And I agree 100% about the software, which was an amazing discovery for me in 2012 or thereabouts, and is probably the main reason why I got into streaming (and therefore buying Linn kit) in the first place. For me, the logical sequence of events is to sort out the storage/server, networking and at least the basics of the data design before laying out ooodles of cash on the expensive hi-fi components. I suspect that I am in a small minority in that regard.

One other question occurs. In nis work on Space Optimisation, Paul carefully takes detailed notes. Do these include any indication as to whether transcoding is in use? Along with all the other possible tweaks, transcoding and other on-the-fly adjustments are definitely points to consider.

David

I have not met Simon Nash, but Peter@57m has, and has great praise for his work, and Simon being a great guy.

I have talked to Simon from Linn however, during the development of Exakt Surround.

I did not take notes related to whether people were using transcoding. I only recall a handful of people that mentioned that they were using 24bit WAV transcoding at the time.

8 hours ago, golke53 said:

@timster: with your kind help, back many days ago, however still enjoyable: I am using flac:wav24 transcoding for replaygain like yourself. I have not touched my software setup for many months now, not even updating davaar since December 2018. Tbh I lost a lot of interest in fiddling with the software side of streaming  after the forum shutdown. But undisputably my system still uses software so I have to take precautions like backups and should be prepared for any kind of crash that might occur. One thing I am concerned about: in order to recover the Minim properties what would you suggest? Is there a way to print them out or create a backup file?

@Paul: I was wondering when I implemented replaygain if there was a (negative) impact on SQ. One test I performed was to create a copy of a set of flacs with replaygain values set to zero. Transcoding flac:wav24 still being in place I selected a playlist of songs from Minim using transcoding and alternatively from a Twonky instance reading just flac on my other QNAP (I use for backup). Then toggled and compared. I found the transcoded stream was offfering a bit more depth of detail and spacing around instruments. All this while "Bob's your Uncle" doing the SO part.. So I believe that transcoding could be of interest but it implies to store the music as flacs. 

NB: I have a QNAP TS451A with WD reds 3 TB x4 as my primary server and my old QNAP TS439 pro II+ with a mix of Hitachi and WD reds as a backup, online and using RTR to keep a mirror of the TS451A. New music I load only on my 451A and RTR automatically copies it over to the backup. I can play equally from both. A surprise for me is that my old NAS is still doing very well and the Hitachis show no signs of weakness so far although already 9 years old. I also do a backup from the backup using an external device of course and that is the only process where I feel that the folder structure of the files do matter at all. Tagging appears more important to me.

Glad you're having fun

Hi Golke,

I guess I was too focused on doing Space Optimization when I was at your home, and not paying much attention to all the other experiments yourself and Gerhardt were doing in the background.

I am working on improving the tagging with Song Kong at the moment, and it is a very timely process, but I hope worth the effort.

8 hours ago, kelly200269 said:

It sounds like you definitely need Roon, Paul.

The good thing about Roon, is that is does all the ‘organising’ for you. It doesn’t care where your music is, what your folder structure is, etc. It just finds it all, and produces a database which catalogues it, so that you can always find it in a ‘folder-less’ UI.

I’ve been running Roon for around six-months now, and it really has been a game-changer for me.

I am up to my earballs in SongKong at the moment, but will take a closer look at Roon at a later date.

My intention is to combine all my different folders , and then remove the lower resolution duplicates.

Then Bob's Your Uncle

8 hours ago, timster said:

Not necessarily

I think it depends on whether you want to spend days, or even weeks organising, tagging, ‘pruning’ etc your music collection. Or you would prefer to use that time to actually listen to your music collection.

Roon does the former for you, and let’s you just get on with the latter.

2 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

I have not met Simon Nash, but Peter@57m has, and has great praise for his work, and Simon being a great guy.

For sure, his commitment to developing the capabilities of and supporting MinimServer are second to none.

David

2 hours ago, kelly200269 said:

I think it depends on whether you want to spend days, or even weeks organising, tagging, ‘pruning’ etc your music collection. Or you would prefer to use that time to actually listen to your music collection ... Roon does the former for you, and let’s you just get on with the latter.

Organising your collection can be a voyage of discovery. I don't do that much of it these days, because my collection is organised as I wish it to be, but when I was working throgh the collection, I found the process to be quite therapeutic, and I learned quite a lot too. Roon does not appeal to me. It's one of those YMMV things.

David

On 15/09/2019 at 15:12, DavidHB said:

Organising your collection can be a voyage of discovery. I don't do that much of it these days, because my collection is organised as I wish it to be, but when I was working throgh the collection, I found the process to be quite therapeutic, and I learned quite a lot too. Roon does not appeal to me. It's one of those YMMV things.

David

I have spent many days organizing my music collection, and it has been a true voyage of discovery.    

My music on my NAS has been dragged, tagged, flagged, and bagged

What's your final terabyte tally after duplicate removal?

1 hour ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

What's your final terabyte tally after duplicate removal?

So far,  3TB.

I do have a lot of duplicates of the more popular bands, but it is not as onerous as I first thought.

I have a lot more music I could load up on my NAS, but I have now loaded the music I listen to the most.

I plan to load the other music over the next few months.

Peter@57m spent another hour checking the progress of my music files yesterday, and I am extremely grateful to him for all his help.

He is an awesome guy. Thank you Peter!!!

I am very pleased with the result, and I have almost instant access to any artist that I search for, and all the music album art is well laid out and easy to access.

13 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

So far,  3TB.

Cor blimey guv'nor. What does Minim interpret that as in numbers in it's albums and items containers?