Trunky

A novel speaker cable enhancement?

12 days ago, by chance, a 6.36kg iron weight had been placed on one of my speaker cables. I won’t bore you with the details of my system, but suffice it to say it is a very highly resolving one with a ‘new’ value in excess of £50K. The salient point is the speaker cable is a copper cable in a fairly standard ‘shotgun' configuration.

I had not noticed the weights presence (due to renovation of Georgian era sash windows) and at the end of a stressful day dealing with craftsmen I sat down to listen to some Pet Shop Boys, who, incidentally, the BBC are screening one of their live shows this coming Sunday.

Initially I thought I’d had a recurrence of temporary dulling of my hearing in my left ear (an old problem caused by a trapped nerve following a hunting accident some years ago) as one channel, the left, sounded terrible in comparison to the right. I checked my hearing using an Iphone app and all was apparently ok. Baffled. My Fiancé joined me and also noticed something was amiss.

This was too much for me and I decided to take my leave of an early night to read.

The following day I rose early and awaited the craftsmen to resume work. Well, I’ll be jiggered, I noticed the weight on the right cable. The weight had actually been positively affecting the sound thus making the left channel sound dull in comparison. Work recommenced on the windows and I casually asked (actually, I begged if the truth be known) if they had two similar weights I could buy off them. Alas this was not possible. I did have chance to measure the force applied to the cable as the weight was not acting fully since the cable was acting as a fulcrum. 4.31kg acting over 8.5cm. This seems to be the magic number. Almost by chance this was placed equidistant along the cable length.

With calm restored following the craftsmen’s departure I now realise that having weights on the cables will be impractical and, naturally, a little hideous to see. I have ordered a large number of laboratory clamps and will be experimenting with different applied forces and at differing points along the cable. I’m sure there are more potential ‘sweet spots’ to find.

The joy of being a true audiophile, it’s a pass time that never stops rewarding. This may also have inadvertently happened to you in your system, I would be interested to hear.

Picture of the clamps I have purchased below. I may experiment with having some copper or silver plated once I fix the clamp points and pressures.

clamp.jpg.6874a7b87cce76e226714d2cc15c040a.jpg

• Haha 3

Are you sure it isn't just a lump of ear wax that has been dislodged...?:dunno:

• Haha 2

simply lay your guns along the cable, or order ones staff to place their toes on the required spot.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Are you sure it isn't just a lump of ear wax that has been dislodged...?:dunno:

Yes, quite certain. Because of my previous nerve damage I am acutely aware of my hearing and do check it when in doubt with an iPhone app.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, forgot-my-id said:

simply lay your guns along the cable, or order ones staff to place their toes on the required spot.

I no longer hunt and I have never shot a gun outside of conflict. I really don't think having a gardener for half a day a week is equitable to having staff.

I’m not suggesting there is a scientific basis for either but could it not have been the material- iron - rather than the weight causing this effect? This seems (slightly) more plausible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, lostwin said:

I’m not suggesting there is a scientific basis for either but could it not have been the material- iron - rather than the weight causing this effect? This seems (slightly) more plausible.

Hmm. That's not something I had considered. I feel somewhat foolish now for not thinking of it. I'll still press on with the clamps and if I can't recreate the effect I shall have a rethink.

Hmmm. There are some loudspeaker cable company that would agree with your observation. They argue that cables can be affected by vibrations in the room and you can eiher isolate the cable or damp it. You may have heard the damping effect....or may be not.

If you had an AN Io cartridge and tapped the cables that goes to the Stepup transformer you get a sound out of the speakers; the peizoelectric effect?

Super Dealer
1 minute ago, George 47 said:

Hmmm. There are some loudspeaker cable company that would agree with your observation. They argue that cables can be affected by vibrations in the room and you can eiher isolate the cable or damp it. You may have heard the damping effect....or may be not.

If you had an AN Io cartridge and tapped the cables that goes to the Stepup transformer you get a sound out of the speakers; the peizoelectric effect?

Really poor design?

Keith

4 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Really poor design?

Keith

How do you design a cable not to show his effect?

Isn't it like a capacitor er condenser microphone? I remember an old valve record player taping the ceramic cartridge screened wire made an unpleasant scrunching noise from the speaker.

Having only ever had rolled up lead as the counter-weights on my sash windows, i have never experienced this issue :D

59 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

It might be that the metal clamps are acting somewhat like a ferrite choke to reduce interference.

Then again it might be lack of due diligence on the part of the listener.

Well, I've not got the clamps yet. So no idea if it was the weight damping the cable, the compression of the cable or the effect of the iron in proximity to the cable. I hope it's the compression as it's much neater to implement.