robbie010

Joined the 401 Club...... Looking for Plinth ideas!?

You seem to know what you are doing but just to call our one particular potentially problem if you want to paint the plinth. Ply typically shows through the paint in strong sunlight so that you see all of the ply layers giving an unintended result. I was once told that placing paper round the sides and then prepping and painting gets round this. Am not sure of the procedure though.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, DomT said:

You seem to know what you are doing but just to call our one particular potentially problem if you want to paint the plinth. Ply typically shows through the paint in strong sunlight so that you see all of the ply layers giving an unintended result. I was once told that placing paper round the sides and then prepping and painting gets round this. Am not sure of the procedure though.

Thanks for the tip!

Now I’ve actually got it set-up and in place I’m going to live with it for a few weeks and see how I feel. 

One little hiccup, because the deck is recessed I couldn’t get the VTA set properly and ended up having to recess the arm by a couple of mm and use a spacer under the cartridge! Job done. 

I had a very quick listen last night and was suitably impressed, I would say the deck has a weight and authority in the way it reproduces the sound and has a deathly silent noise floor.  I still need to set the arm up properly with a protractor and make sure the overhang is correct but I am a happy camper at the moment. 

36B73ABB-51E6-4999-8ADA-9996187A8E40.jpeg.4d55906f2966ec940649395593680be8.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robbie010 said:

Thanks for the tip!

Now I’ve actually got it set-up and in place I’m going to live with it for a few weeks and see how I feel. 

One little hiccup, because the deck is recessed I couldn’t get the VTA set properly and ended up having to recess the arm by a couple of mm and use a spacer under the cartridge! Job done. 

I had a very quick listen last night and was suitably impressed, I would say the deck has a weight and authority in the way it reproduces the sound and has a deathly silent noise floor.  I still need to set the arm up properly with a protractor and make sure the overhang is correct but I am a happy camper at the moment. 

Wow...Looks really lovely :)...Iam actually a stickler for looks. I would probably dismantle the TT, and carry the plinth to a automotive paint shop. Get it all nicely sanded down  for a smooth finish, a few coats of primer and 3 coats of automotive white paint sprayed on top. Would look lovely in contrast to the black deck. But that's just me . I can understand others taste can vary :D

I have always loved the layered plywood look, so I would be retaining that on the side and then a black, or as Newlash suggested, white top .

Great job by the way!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Wow...Looks really lovely :)...Iam actually a stickler for looks. I would probably dismantle the TT, and carry the plinth to a automotive paint shop. Get it all nicely sanded down  for a smooth finish, a few coats of primer and 3 coats of automotive white paint sprayed on top. Would look lovely in contrast to the black deck. But that's just me . I can understand others taste can vary :D

But this is the problem because the ply will still show through in most cases including my own deck done on the same basis by one of the so-called best in U.K. 

• Upvote 1

On 18/09/2019 at 11:21, robbie010 said:

Thanks for the tip!

Sounds like a well plinthed idler drive then!!! Well done!!

• Like 1

Looks stunning- well done indeed.:notworthy:

Super Wammer

Final update........ for now!

I ended up having to buy a small sheet of 5mm ply and cutting out a small section to fit inside the recess to raise the deck ever so slightly and make it easier to set the VTA right.

I then decided that I like the layered ply look on the sides but wasn't keen on the red vaneer on the top board, so I sanded it back to plain birch, filled all the small holes and joints and sanded it all back smooth, then applied 3 coats of danish oil and voila!

I think I'll give it a few months then give it another sanding with 800 grit and another few coats of oil. Job done.

4012.jpg.89ae139e3ff8511debda2c2c6ce8c4ef.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely prefer the look with the 401 raised above the level of the plinth rather than recessed, great job Simon.