hifinutt

Pass Labs int 25

I see pass labs have released a smaller integrated amp, from the blurb 

anyone had any experience with them yet ? 

The INT-25 embodies all this and less. A smaller stereo Class A amplifier at a lower price, it takes advantage of the lower power requirements to have simpler single-ended circuitry and fewer parts in the signal path. This also allows elimination of degeneration, “that other negative feedback” in all stages.

Simpler and fewer gain stages improves speed and stability. Lower voltages means the ability to run gain devices at higher bias currents, more deeply into Class A. Newer power Fet technology replaces banks of parallel small transistors with a single pair of industrial devices, each having a 700 watt / 40 amp rating. With no current-hogging issues and a new constant-current bias circuit to compensate for temperature drift, they connect directly to the loudspeaker without ballast resistors for lowest possible distortion and highest damping factor. No degeneration also increases the efficiency and Class A operating current, allowing greater Class A operation into low impedance and reactive loads.

https://www.passlabs.com/amplifier/int-25

• Upvote 1

Sounds like Nelson's First Watt designs are making it into is Pass Labs factory.

I built the First Watt M2 clone M2X from DIY Audio forums, a fantastic power amp, 25 watts of pure class A and no global feedback, only 4 Mosfet output devices.

Super Wammer

I wonder what it’ll cost!

Nice, I believe this int 25 will be 7250  pounds which seems not much different to the int 30.  Awaiting confirmation on price though.

Edited by hifinutt
New info
  • Like 1

I must confess that the sugden a21se rather excelled itself with the tannoys recently. But the pass labs integrated have much finer volume control. And a digital display. Whether that is worth almost double the price of a sugden is a matter for consideration. I do wish pass labs integrated were a bit more common on s/h market!

I like NPs designs and there is no doubting that Pass Labs stuff sounds very good indeed. The downside is that they charge like a wounded rhino. Over seven large seems an awful lot of money for that...

Indeed.

Around $7500 US.

On 09/09/2019 at 22:40, hifinutt said:

I must confess that the sugden a21se rather excelled itself with the tannoys recently. But the pass labs integrated have much finer volume control. And a digital display. Whether that is worth almost double the price of a sugden is a matter for consideration. I do wish pass labs integrated were a bit more common on s/h market!

Sugden Masterclass IA-4 integrated? And still trouser over 2 grand.

No digital display though – what are they thinking of?

Super Wammer

Just reading the latest October edition of Stereophile, and Pass designs do seem to congregate in the highest rated categories of amplifier.  Unfortunately they are amongst the costliest too, but the best was never cheap!  

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

No digital display though – what are they thinking of?

Unfortunately displays often introduce audible noise. I have one such example sat here on my desk proving my point.

Super Dealer

I hadn’t realised there was so much poor design around.

Why on earth would anyone buy such a component?

Keith

I suspect you can turn it off. But I agree and I turn off the display on the XP22 sat here singing its little heart out.

Some seem to like the simpler output transistor make-up (XA25)and others prefer the more current, paralleled approach (XAXXX.8). I suspect we will find with the £ sinking against the $ and euro non UK audio will get really expensive. Sign of the times I suppose but even so $7500 is a high price for an integrated and First Wtt may be a better call for those not wanting the fancy case and added extras like meters.

4 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

I hadn’t realised there was so much poor design around.

Why on earth would anyone buy such a component?

Keith

It measures well and sounds brilliant; obvious really.

It looks quite nice although I prefer a meter even if it never moves when I play it.