plasticpenguin

Why a valve amp?

I may be wrong of course, but from the data I've got, I think from the 40s onwards, they were the thinner shape with a smaller 'shoulder' and most are grey coated internally. These ones are comparatively very large, not much shorter than the 845s.

15 minutes ago, rabski said:

Rubbish phone pic, but not a rubbish valve. Very early I think, as it's clear glass and most are grey

Osram.jpg

I have half a dozen of those.. best kt66s by a mile, most are military vt75s  they are very nearly as good as a coke bottle px4 

And may I say, wasted driving a 845.

16 minutes ago, rabski said:

I may be wrong of course, but from the data I've got, I think from the 40s onwards, they were the thinner shape with a smaller 'shoulder' and most are grey coated internally. These ones are comparatively very large, not much shorter than the 845s.

They are pre war I would guess. From 1940 there would only be vt75 with the black military spec getter. 

Why not a valve amp

1, They look nice when lit up 

2, Even better in the winter with a dim side light lovely and warming

3, You can sit in anticipation waiting for a valve to go up like a volcano 

4, Then you can buy some more £££ upgrade valves 

5, Get cought the the tube rolling world 

6, Look at spending even more money on all types of hybrid valve amps 

7, Send it away and have loads of upgrades done at even more ££££

8, When working they sound lovely ( my opinion ) subjective 9_9

Dont ask me how I know this :nerves:

Edited by Audio Al

6 hours ago, steve 57 said:

I have half a dozen of those.. best kt66s by a mile, most are military vt75s  they are very nearly as good as a coke bottle px4 

And may I say, wasted driving a 845.

You may say, of course. But equally I may not be that bothered :D

I acquired most of the valves I have (and all of the 'valuable' ones) long before the market lost track of sanity. As a result, when they come out to play, I only worry about how they sound and perform. If I'm honest, I probably get a little perverse pleasure from the financial mismatch. The Osrams are in regular service as drivers for the 845s, but that role is also sometimes taken over by some early GEC KT88s. My temporary phono stage is based around a PCB from the Far East that cost about £15. At the moment, there are a pair of Telefunken ECC803S in it :whistle:

3 hours ago, rabski said:

You may say, of course. But equally I may not be that bothered :D

I acquired most of the valves I have (and all of the 'valuable' ones) long before the market lost track of sanity. As a result, when they come out to play, I only worry about how they sound and perform. If I'm honest, I probably get a little perverse pleasure from the financial mismatch. The Osrams are in regular service as drivers for the 845s, but that role is also sometimes taken over by some early GEC KT88s. My temporary phono stage is based around a PCB from the Far East that cost about £15. At the moment, there are a pair of Telefunken ECC803S in it :whistle:

Funnily enough I have telefunkens in my phono. 

I have both SS integrated and a valve preamp. I enjoy the sound of both. They are just so different. 

The valve system with its imperfection makes it sound nice. Then tube rolling can be fun but it gets expensive once you start chasing NOS tubes.

Been collecting Sylvania and RCA 6SN7s. Just got my hands on some Pope Holland 6SN7s too.

Tube rolling can be addictive as you start to collect valves just like how women collect shoes etc. 😬

• Like 3

On 17/09/2019 at 12:01, tIANcI said:

I have both SS integrated and a valve preamp. I enjoy the sound of both. They are just so different. 

The valve system with its imperfection makes it sound nice. Then tube rolling can be fun but it gets expensive once you start chasing NOS tubes.

Been collecting Sylvania and RCA 6SN7s. Just got my hands on some Pope Holland 6SN7s too.

Tube rolling can be addictive as you start to collect valves just like how women collect shoes etc. 😬

I got my first Valve Amplifier in April. I've already got three sets of Signal Valves... Please don't judge me! 😄And as it's getting cooler in the evenings, the benefits are not needing to use my heating... 👍 👍 👍 😎