I went to the Brooklands for the 50th anniversary of the Capri and there was a great display, I would guess over 200 cars.  There was even a great line up of Capris of all ages and specs, and of course everybody’s favourite 3.0S in silver as driven by uber cool Bodie in The Professionals.

My faves were a lovely white 3.0S and a couple of spotless rare RS3100s (must have been ten 3100s)

3white 3100RS 30S 25pt.jpg

30S silver Bodie 25pt.jpg

Green RS3100 25pt.jpg

White 30S 25pt.jpg

• Like 5

I went too, lots of beautifully presented cars, very nostalgic. My favourite was a stunning 1970 3000E in red round the side of the clubhouse. I really like the purity of design of the MK1s, especially the interiors. I had a facelift MK1 3000 GT many moons ago, it needed a lot of work, far more than I could do at the time so off it went :cs:

Had a T reg 2.0 Ghia auto back in 1980, smashing car. Helped that I worked for Ford at the time, got it cheap from Frog Island.

6 hours ago, Carrington said:

I went too, lots of beautifully presented cars, very nostalgic. My favourite was a stunning 1970 3000E in red round the side of the clubhouse. I really like the purity of design of the MK1s, especially the interiors. I had a facelift MK1 3000 GT many moons ago, it needed a lot of work, far more than I could do at the time so off it went :cs:

yes that 3000E was really nice wasnt it? I can only imagine the envy this would have induced in 1970 :cool:

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, graham67 said:

yes that 3000E was really nice wasnt it? I can only imagine the envy this would have induced in 1970 :cool:

It's had me going through the classifieds with my imaginary budget all week! Fortunately my imaginary budget was quite generous, enough to accommodate the eye watering prices good rare MK1s are fetching! Favorites so far are an immaculate E at £27k and an untouched RS2600 at £35k, a bargain O.o

I had a MK1 3000e back in the day,  metallic gold with big wolfrace wheels and super sticky Dunlop tyres. Always wanted to add an Allard supercharger kit but could never afford it sadly. Always lusted over a RS3100 but life stuff got in the way now they are hugely expensive. Never really liked the MK2 as much as the original.....  happy memories.

My second wife owned a 2.0 'Laser', a disgusting wallowing beast that practically inverted around corners. Completely incomparable to the exquisitely damped 928S I was driving at the time. Both cars, did, however, turn to rust at fairly similar rates.

This was hooning it round the track at last Sunday's Ford Power Live at Brands Hatch. Not the fastest but definitely made the best noise.

Image may contain: car and outdoor

• Like 1

All the early MK Capris were quite cool looking. The later ones just looked ordinary by comparison. The only possible exception was the 2.8 injection.

Sorry, I don't get it. The Crapi was never cool - nothing more than a Concertina dressed up a bit. It was a bad joke. You could say it was a statement car - unfortunately, the statement was that the owner couldn't afford a car that was really cool.

9 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Sorry, I don't get it. The Crapi was never cool - nothing more than a Concertina dressed up a bit. It was a bad joke. You could say it was a statement car - unfortunately, the statement was that the owner couldn't afford a car that was really cool.

In many ways I agree with this even though I owned a couple. But nostalgia is a powerful thing. So I'm considering a risky purchase of this:

19381695-1.jpg

Now I think this is cool and interesting. One of the first Ford RS models, possibly the first Ford production model with fuel injection and set up for racing with lowered suspension and vented front disc brakes. I'm thinking it would be fun for rallying and to some extent daily driving. 150bhp and only a smidge over a ton, sounds like fun to me :)

10 hours ago, Tony_J said:

The MK1 Capris had character, and they were the British equivalent to the Ford Mustang. 

Anything in the 1970s promoted by Martin Shaw was cool. Cue the Professionals theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ZCj4T_064

Edited by plasticpenguin

Character - which is really the point of cars like these.  Like most cars of the 60s/70s by any objective standards the Mustang was also a krapp car, being a rehashed Ford Falcon (or similar).  But even with a breathless 6cylinder motor it looked great then and now.  See a nice Capri, even the prosaic 4 cylinder volume sellers, on the roads now and it turns heads. So does it really matter that it  wasn't the sharpest tool in the drawer. Nowadays a basic Korean hatch would run rings around them, but they aren't cool now and never will be!

Edited by graham67

Although I think the early Capris are cool, I wouldn't own one. 

When you look back throughout the history of Ford cars (Zodiac, Zephyr, Cortinas, Populars...) they were all drab, the Capri was the first Ford to pander to the younger generation in the UK.

Possibly the only competition was from Triumph, with the Vitesse, TR6... otherwise companies such as Vauxhall had nothing comparable, Jaguar models all were beyond the ordinary younger driver.