Pedro2

Rack Recommendations

Super Wammer

This looks decent, and highly adjustable too. 

37 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

This looks decent, and highly adjustable too. 

I use a five tier one of these - it was over £300 new - the above is a good value but I have seen them go for a lot cheaper (I got mine at a local auction for £17).  Also if you use 19" rack mount equipment (like an Audio Research pre amp for example) it just fits (with the faceplate just over the edge of the wooden uprights.

The missus she said "yes" as it blended in with our oak furniture .. if you keep looking these do come up in a darker wood colour.

Super Wammer

I would say, immediately buy the Sound Organization on Ebay. I used to have one, and I wish I still did. It is a rigid welded frame that will make your system sound better.

I have been using a six shelf 6mm Stands Unique with an additional turntable isolation platform for several years.

It still looks great and performs well. I paid £85, which I consider a tremendous bargain.   

I have my system on the floor with marble slabs under them and think it looks way better than any rack/stand ever could..

Good luck with sorting long-term - still using Sound Organisation Z560 for 6  thingies with LP12 on top, + 2 other thingummies including IKEA table with 5 duberries simply stacked on top of each other ... Damp dusting fortnightly everything safely/testing-using all frequently ...

• Like 1

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, Chumpy said:

Good luck with sorting long-term - still using Sound Organisation Z560 for 6  thingies with LP12 on top, + 2 other thingummies including IKEA table with 5 duberries simply stacked on top of each other ... Damp dusting fortnightly everything safely/testing-using all frequently ...

Chumpy! He's back!

I am so overwhelmed, I'm fighting back the tears. No-one posts like you do.

Respect. And welcome home.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Another shout-out here for Stands Unique. What I like about these visually is the glass-only shelves which let the kit speak for itself - no wooden or metal cross-members to spoil the view. Sonically, the shelves sit on small soft pads which gives them a good degree of isolation from the pegs and the legs which they fit into. Finally, functionally: on a full height rack there are 25 peg holes 1" apart so you don't have to buy taller or shorter shelf units if you change your kit, you just move the shelves. If you need an extra shelf, any decent local glass merchant should make one for £20-30 and the pegs are cheap on the 'bay.

Add to that the going rate and they're bargaintastic.

• Like 1

On the stands unique units....the original ones used to have 11mm thick glass as standard... Where as the new ones are a poultry 7mm glass shelving as standard....make what you will of that..

Edited by 2010*zuma

18 hours ago, The Stifmeister said:

Hi-Fi Racks podium reference is what i use and it is superb. 

I have the podium slimline. Whilst not quite as good as the reference it looks great, is sturdy and half the price.

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, 2010*zuma said:

On the stands unique units....the original ones used to have 11mm thick glass as standard... Where as the new ones are a poultry 7mm glass shelving as standard....make what you will of that..

A gentle and polite correction or two... The standard shelves were 6mm, the Reference shelves were 10mm; Reference come up for sale far less often.

There are no "new" ones. These haven't been produced for many years but there are a lot of them around so they come up on eBay frequently.

• Like 1