MF 1000

Chantel McGregor

Super Wammer

Went to the Chantel McGregor gig at the Live Rooms Chester on Sunday with Jane & some friends.  Disappointed that they had only sold 50 tickets but it did allow us to grab a table close to the small stage.  

The 30 mins support act out of the way (least said the better) and on came Chantel with her drummer & bassist.  The next two hrs were a blast as they say .....a couple semi acoustic numbers but mainly full on rock with Chantel demonstrating her amazing control of both guitar and amp feedback techniques ably assisted by Colin the bassist who mixed between a 4 & 5 string bass, bending notes and creating feedback from the on stage speakers.  For the £16.50 ticket cost this ranks as one on the best gigs we've been to in recent years and Chantels new CD has been pre ordered.  

If you like a good rock guitarist check her out and get to a gig 

• Like 1

Sounds interesting Keith, I went to Cardiff last night as well for a gig, Skunk Anansie. I havent been to a intimate (ish) rock concert for a while, it wasnt a huge arena job even though they have done that many times, but it was the medium/large I suppose Cardiff University Great Hall. Holly shit it was loud, but without being painful say like the Motorhead one I remember from years ago. But the friggin bass was insane, I tried to get mid crowd for best effect despite overheating and everything else that goes with a mental crowd, but the effect from the bass was shirts and trouser flapping and body tremering :D I dont know what subs size, how many or whatever besides the bass amps that where being used there Keith but it was a wild experience!

Hell of an eclectic audience mix though, everything from old grannies/ granddads, to punks, skin heads, goths, suits, bikers, hippies anything you can think of really :)

On 05/09/2019 at 16:09, MF 1000 said:

Went to the Chantel McGregor gig at the Live Rooms Chester on Sunday with Jane & some friends.  Disappointed that they had only sold 50 tickets but it did allow us to grab a table close to the small stage.  

If you like a good rock guitarist check her out and get to a gig 

Weird isn't it that great artists such as Chantel sell minimal tickets and yet lots of rubbish acts sell loads! Best Gig I ever went to was one of hers at Whitstable, again probably a hundred max were there. Even got my album signed for my Birthday treat... :D

Makes you wonder how long these awesome musicians can keep going before they give up & fade away as everyone needs to earn money to survive!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, parcelmonkey said:

Weird isn't it that great artists such as Chantel sell minimal tickets and yet lots of rubbish acts sell loads! Best Gig I ever went to was one of hers at Whitstable, again probably a hundred max were there. Even got my album signed for my Birthday treat... :D

Makes you wonder how long these awesome musicians can keep going before they give up & fade away as everyone needs to earn money to survive!

Yes, but that is just the music business in general and it goes with the territory and being an artist really. Most musicians have regular jobs as well, as there'd be no way they could sustain the lifestyle. And its surprising that most of these 'big earners' can have some of the least musical or lyrical abilities. 

I had the pleasure of attending another gig last night, a band called Darkside who are a Pink Floyd tribute. I'm not just saying this to be nice but it was an incredible performance. The whole show from start to finish was immaculate, there must have been about a million pounds worth of gear/instruments on the stage and the light show was incredible. I counted seven musicians and two technicians on the side (looked like they were family or friends even). The songs were played practically note perfect for three hours covering some of Pink Floyds greatest hits, and even some other of the more obscure songs along with the whole of the Darkside of the moon album, female vocals, sax, keyboards, theremin the lot was in there. It was busy but not overly so, me and my pal had our own table, there was no queuing to get in go to the bar or toilet, and you could get up and walk around easily. We were near the front and there was even an area were people got up in the end and started dancing, and it didnt hinder the view whatsoever. Must be one of the most civilised gigs I've ever been to in my life, it has to have a mention in the greatest gigs ever this one.

Anyway to top all this the total cost for my ticket was a mere £15! Now this is what live music / event should be about a reasonable or cheap even night out where you have an amazing night and leaves you feeling uplifted. An absolute credit to the music scene this band were. I was driving I wasn't even drinking although my buddy was pretty hammered by the end of the night :D   

And the lead guitarist just steps off the front of the stage at the end as if he hadnt even been on it, no lynching by anyone. But I did have to stroll over and give him some credit though for what he just did, but all of those musicians deserved equal credit.

Edited by eddie-baby

Super Wammer

Keith - I've been to 4 of Chantel's gigs. Even, and I'm sad to say, pm'd her after one to tell her how much I enjoyed it (along with 12 friends I had dragged along) and I got a nice reply agreeing with me that their best song (Robin Trower's Daydream) was her favourite as well. I think that her first CD "Like No Other" is better than the second one - more bluesey and not as middle of the road "soft rock". 

I have photos somewhere of me with my arm around her. :hug:

38 minutes ago, Ed Howarth said:

I have photos somewhere of me with my arm around her. :hug:

What, naked ? :D 

Edited by eddie-baby

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, eddie-baby said:

What, naked ? :D 

Me or her?

28 minutes ago, Ed Howarth said:

Me or her?

Well if its her you can share Ed :)