insider9

Did Tool just save Rock music?

My friend mentioned that in regards to Fear Inoculum... But could it actually be the case?! Is that the album that saved Rock music? 

Some background info........ 

At the start of August, the enigmatic prog-metallers finally made their entire back catalogue available on streaming services for the first time: every one of their albums went Top 10 on iTunes, while Sober became the highest charting song after Ariana Grande’s Boyfriend :D

By claiming four of the top five on Top Rock Albums, Tool becomes the first act with at least that many in the region in the Billboard list's history

Tool also takes four of the top five spots on Hard Rock Albums, also the first act to achieve the feat.

Tool also takes 17 of the 25 positions on Hard Rock Digital Song Sales, including the top 14. That (you guessed it) is also a record, although one shared with Queen, which infused the top 14 twice, for a week each in March and last November.

Discuss

Edited by insider9
Whisky spelling

Got to admit I have listened too their new album and maybe it will take more than one listen but I found them boring?

• Upvote 1

My first impression was exactly the same. All the hype and the first couple of tracks felt a little boring but it gets better from Invincible onwards and oh boy it gets better and better as the album progresses. It's easily the most mature of their releases. All I've listened since Friday. 

Edited by insider9
Whisky
  • Like 1

There have been loads of band I did not get first time around Luke, I will give them another go soon.:)

• Like 1

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

Got to admit I have listened too their new album and maybe it will take more than one listen but I found them boring?

Given all the positive fuss I've seen, I'm glad its not just me... but I will give it more time :) 

• Like 2

I like it and I’m not a fan nor have I really listened to them before. What surprised me was the fact there is currently no standard cd release and to get physical product you have to divvy up £80 + . The Hi Res download from HD tracks is £19 so it’s a pretty expensive business though to be fair the pricing of Hi Res and CD quality downloads generally looks like profiteering.

I’ve streamed it from Spotify and bought the download from Apple for £9.99. In a few months time it’ll probably be in HMV as a standard cd for a fiver.

I don’t think it’s massively original, it has hints of Anathema and generic prog but I find it pretty enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Bazzer said:

All physical media sold out pre release.... 

CD price is crazy, no wonder some fans are upset. It's now £120 on Amazon.

I did actually play quite a bit of this, it's not a genre I usually play, it's not too bad, saving rock music I don't think so, like most modern music not very original and a bit boring but better produced than most, not heard any of the hype. 13 years since their last album, is that why it is more mature, lol.

• Like 1

I was coming from a perspective of younger generations that are experiencing this. Streaming numbers are surely not down to older generations listening. Can't remember last time any Rock or Metal band caused so much excitement. 

Never mind how good the sound quality is and how it could impact hifi trade.... Fair enough I've had more than a few now but the album is still great in my opinion. By the way, I wasn't a big fan of last A Perfect Circle album. 

3 minutes ago, insider9 said:

I was coming from a perspective of younger generations that are experiencing this. Streaming numbers are surely not down to older generations listening. Can't remember last time any Rock or Metal band caused so much excitement. 

Why is streaming only for younger generations? I bet lots on here stream music, I do mostly. As for excitement is that because there is very little else around these days? Last band that caused some excitement were?

5 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Why is streaming only for younger generations? I bet lots on here stream music, I do mostly. As for excitement is that because there is very little else around these days? Last band that caused some excitement were?

Never meant that streaming is for younger generations. However our generation can't reasonably account for Tool's single to be only beaten by Ariana Grande 😁 Younger generations must be listening too and that's just great.

Don't think there was any Rock album since mid nineties that was so raved about. Can't think of anything anywhere near to this success in the last 20 years. I think it's great and Rock was always the type of music that inspired younger generations to pick up instruments and play. 

13 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

As for excitement is that because there is very little else around these days?

Good point. It's a great album nevertheless. 

4 minutes ago, insider9 said:

Never meant that streaming is for younger generations. However our generation can't reasonably account for Tool's single to be only beaten by Ariana Grande 😁 Younger generations must be listening too and that's just great.

Don't think there was any Rock album since mid nineties that was so raved about. Can't think of anything anywhere near to this success in the last 20 years. I think it's great and Rock was always the type of music that inspired younger generations to pick up instruments and play. 

Hope you are right but I find it sad now that at "live" festival you have people playing recorded music and so many are going down the mainstream pop music road.