Jules_S

DACs (again!) - buying advice please

Super Wammer

@Jules_S i use the Cambridge CXN v2 as my DAC and use it for my Teac which acts as a transport. 
with your budget.. why don’t you consider one of these? Sometimes they come up on the refurbished section with Cambridge and are around £600

53 minutes ago, paulkebab said:

Sorry Jules! My partner commented 'it just sounds clearer than the Arcam' and her ears are a bit worse than mine so she wants to keep the Vincent as things stand now. If it continues to improve then the Arcam will have to go unfortunately, atm it's almost back in the box! More listening for now.

No need to be sorry! Glad to hear that it looks like you've found something that suits your system and your ears. I'm still loving the Arcam, for the time being I've no desire to look for anything else. Maybe that day will come in future but I'm just enjoying the tunes for now.

I really do have to sort my room acoustics next, I've identified an awful peak that coincides with the pitches B1 & B2, roughly 62Hz and 124Hz, and I'm noticing it more and more. Bass traps I think are going to be my next purchase. Anyone had any experience with these:

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Vicoustic-Vari-Bass-White/1VK4

I reckon they look decent (if pricey) but I like the fact that you can adjust them to tune it to the frequencies causing the biggest issues. I should, theoretically, be able to tune out the lower of the two frequencies causing havoc. I know from other posts that the recommendation is to have as many traps as you can fit / afford and that one probably won't make much difference. I was thinking of a pair in the corners behind my listening position, which at the moment are empty. As it's possible to stack them I could even add two more at some point.

3 minutes ago, radiant red said:

@Jules_S i use the Cambridge CXN v2 as my DAC and use it for my Teac which acts as a transport. 
with your budget.. why don’t you consider one of these? Sometimes they come up on the refurbished section with Cambridge and are around £600

Thanks for the suggestion @radiant red but I think I'm sticking with the D33 for a while. Also I really have no need for any streaming capability as I'm already embedded in the Sonos ecosystem so that functionality would be wasted. CXN is a nice bit of kit though :^

• Like 1

@Jules_S   the apology was more for mentioning the filters which you seem reluctant to play with but they are very usable.. that's all I'm going to tell you !

My room has a nasty peak about 160-180 Hz and no means to add traps or move things about so I didn't have much choice but to go down the digital EQ route - good luck with your issues.

8 minutes ago, paulkebab said:

@Jules_S   the apology was more for mentioning the filters which you seem reluctant to play with but they are very usable.. that's all I'm going to tell you !

My room has a nasty peak about 160-180 Hz and no means to add traps or move things about so I didn't have much choice but to go down the digital EQ route - good luck with your issues.

I'm sticking to my guns for the time being! While I can keep curiosity under control I intend to stick with good old filter 1. I'm too worried about ruining the whole love affair by becoming a "filter-worrier", i.e. always flicking between them and never settling on what I like the sound of better. I almost wish the Arcam didn't have a choice of filters, then I'd not be fretting! :S

I'm trying to avoid digital EQ if I can in favour of more "analogue" methods of control. This is simply because I have my LP front end to consider too, and with no loop facility on my amp I'd either have to add two EQs, one for each source or put the LP front end through an A/D into the DAC. Either way it means digitising my analogue source... er, not for me thanks! I'm a bit of a Luddite in that regard.

Of the 3 options I prefer filter 1, but things can get too bassy for me with more recent music which is when 2 gets used.. oops I spilled the beans. 

I went digital in the 80's so I'm on the other side of the room - everyone to their own :) 

Well, after more listening the Arcam will be leaving. The Vincent just has a little bit more 'shine' in the treble, the bass sounds more organic but still hasn't quite got the leading edge that the Arcam has, not yet anyway, but the midrange is stunning. The Arcam unearthed more detail than I'd heard before, until the Vincent that is. I can only assume it's the topology, however the Arcam D33 is a superb DAC, and I'm glad I gave it a whirl. All in all myself and my partner prefer the slightly more forward sound of the Vincent over the Arcam, and the amount of detail listening through Oppo PM1 cans is phenomenal. I think I've got as far as I want to go in the 'search' for now so we're just going to enjoy for a while. Happy Hi-Fi'ing.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Glad to hear you've found something that really suits your needs and your ears, wonderful stuff!

And for anyone else looking for an outstanding DAC, there'll be a bargain on the Wam any day soon - search "D33"...:D

Super Wammer

Vincent is pretty special.. matching with other components is important tho.. 👍🏻

Vincent is pretty special.. matching with other components is important tho.. 👍🏻

Very true, I feel the need for some new speakers but I need to REW the room again before I go silly O.o

Super Wammer

Very true, I feel the need for some new speakers but I need to REW the room again before I go silly O.o

What do you have atm? When I played with the kit I had Harbeth, ELAC and Vienna Acoustics

Currently have IPL Acoustics S2tlm ribbon floorstanders which can sound anything between mehh and superb. 

The D33 sold this morning and currently a very close to BIN offer on the Audiolab.  :)

• Like 1