Sign in to follow this  
bencat

An excellent small amplifer for little money

Super Wammer

I saw this and have to admit my finger hovered over the button to just buy it . Truth is I have a load of great amplifers some of which are not in use which means as i do not have the mechanical skills of the money to tidy this unit up it would likely just go in to storage.

This is in my opinion the best component from the original Aurex high end Mini System which reccieved rave reviews when it was released in the 1980's . Do not be fooled by the small size this was priced in similar territory as Naim at the time and was the flagship model for Aurex Toshibas luxury brand .

This little unit will drive real speakers to very high levels and the quality of music is stunning even against current well rated power amplifiers. At this price it can be a real basis for a great sounding cheap system and it is so small that it could be easily hidden away and just cleaned up and left as it is. On the other hand if you have the skills to refurbish the outside of the unit then it could tke pride of place and be on show . I just think that you will struggle to find this sort of quality at anyhting like £65 .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOSHIBA-AUREX-SC-M15-STEREO-POWER-AMPLIFIER/123894753848?hash=item1cd8b3ea38:g:1S0AAOSwduJdbXsT

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Gosh, I remember those, Andrew.  We used to sell them in the HiFi shop where I was a ‘Saturday boy’.  That particular one looks like it’s been in a nasty damp place though, so I’d suggest caution. 

To be honest, I don’t remember them sounding particularly amazing, but they did have a jewellery-like appeal, long before that became more typical.  My ‘go to’ great sounding amplifiers in that era were from Harman/Kardon, often in the guise of apparently conventional receivers, but usually containing two transformers and significant grunt!