HectorHughMunro

Chord Mojo

35 minutes ago, NaimThatTune said:

Good saving, I wonder if it’s in response to the new Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt?

Don’t think it’s in competition.

I always thought of the Mojo as a bit flawed; neither portable nor proper Hi-Fi. 

I’ve just ordered one so I’ll find out if my prejudices are correct. 

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
20 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

Don’t think it’s in competition.

I always thought of the Mojo as a bit flawed; neither portable nor proper Hi-Fi. 

I admire a man who puts his money where his mouth is!  Will be interested in how it comes across.  This DAC has always seemed good value for the engineering on offer. 

Edited by Nopiano

Theyve realised it is naff after all and dropped the price to reflect this :D (only joking, Mojo lovers)

I couldnt get on with it I have to admit. Just like I havent liked very many Chord offerings. But I would possibly have a DAVE, just wouldnt pay out for it.

19 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

Let us know how you get on then.

Edited by eddie-baby

1 hour ago, eddie-baby said:

Theyve realised it is naff after all and dropped the price to reflect this :D (only joking, Mojo lovers)

I couldnt get on with it I have to admit. Just like I havent liked very many Chord offerings. But I would possibly have a DAVE, just wouldnt pay out for it.

Let us know how you get on then.

Got it now.  It’s absolutely tiny. Nicely made and you can put it with its packaging in a coat pocket.  The accessories in the box amount to a single micro USB cable.  

The connections are a bit Curate’s Egg; The optical is a full sized TOSLink connection while the electrical digital input is a 3.5mm which is likely to be used with adapters.  Such a shame there are no RCA sockets but that runs against the design concept.

Initial impressions are very good. I don’t think it’s bright which is a criticism I’ve heard of the Hugo. It compares very favourably with the Arcam IRDac that I’m currently using.  This is very much a first ten minutes impression with some very cheap cables attached.

One interesting thing I read is that you can unhook the battery and just run it directly from the mains adapter. That might be a viable way to use it in the longer term rather than having the issue of a battery that is constantly charging. 

Edited by HectorHughMunro

So, this is after a few days of running it pretty constantly.

In operation, it was better than I expected.  If you plug an iPad in to it (using the Apple USB camera adapter), it starts straight away without fuss.  Using the original version of Audioquest Dragonfly, it would play but you needed to plug it in via a USB hub otherwise it would error because of the power draw.  Once you had the Dragonfly playing, it took power from the iPad’s battery and drained it quickly.  The Mojo is running on its own battery and is far less problematic.

Using Spotify, the difference between using an iPad in to the Mojo via USB or using a Chromecast via optical (Chromecast powered from the USB socket in my amp but with an Audioquest Jitterbug) was negligible

In comparison to an Arcam IRDac II, the Mojo is more critical, detailed, dynamic with more dimensionality.  The treble of the Mojo was very clean and detailed, so much so that I wanted to back it off a bit and probably boost the lower mid.  The dynamics were noticeable in that I was using the volume control to a far greater extent.

The sonic signature reminded me of when I tried Tellurium Q Black speaker cables in their analytical nature.  Wonderful with good recordings.

One thing that I did notice between the two was that using the preamp on the Arcam significantly degraded the sound where using the volume function on the Mojo rather than running at line level yielded no difference.  To get line level on the Mojo, you press down the two volume buttons while you power it up – reading the manual for the Mojo is essential where it is optional for the Arcam.

The Arcam is warmer and because of that, IMHO more enjoyable over a wider range of recordings.  When the Mojo gets a really good recording, it is truly impressive but on bad recordings, it can be unlistenable.  The Arcam was at some advantage in this comparison.  It has RCA adapters, I am using a set of Atlas Ascent where I’m using cheaper 3.5mm to 3.5mm J2J also by Atlas for the Mojo.  If I had to keep one to use in a system, I would take the Arcam.

There are circumstances where I would use the Mojo rather than a IRDac II; for instance if I were using a valve system or something warm and vintage but suffering for detail.  I would not use it in a Monitor/Cyrus system unless I had upper frequency hearing loss.

If I were using it in a system, I probably would unhook the battery.  Rob Watts has commented on this to say that that is not how it Is intended to be operated and would void the warranty but that it would work.  He also said that it would reduce transient response but I would see that as a positive as I think it needs backing off a bit in that region.

The real shame is that the sonic signature of the old Chord DAC64 hasn’t been brought through to the current generation of smaller DACs.  That being said, the Mojo is really accomplished and would work well in an appropriate system.

• Like 4

Interesting thanks for the feed back, I am a little unsure if your impressions are for using the Mojo as a dac in a speaker system or for headphones?

I'm quiet tempted to pick one up myself to try out, I was thinking for home headphone use with the Mojo paired with the Chromecast (powered by a 5v battery power bank).  As the Chromecast Audio can be used as a wireless Roon endpoint it would mean I could use the Roon platform that I use with my main system on a fully mobile device without the need to plug into anything anywhere around the house. Something that would be handy at times not just for myself but other family members as well. 

27 minutes ago, JamieMcC said:

Interesting thanks for the feed back, I am a little unsure if your impressions are for using the Mojo as a dac in a speaker system or for headphones?

I'm quiet tempted to pick one up myself to try out, I was thinking for home headphone use with the Mojo paired with the Chromecast (powered by a 5v battery power bank).  As the Chromecast Audio can be used as a wireless Roon endpoint it would mean I could use the Roon platform that I use with my main system on a fully mobile device without the need to plug into anything anywhere around the house. Something that would be handy at times not just for myself but other family members as well. 

I have only used it in a system and not yet with headphones.  I'm using it with a second gen Arcam Solo Movie 5.1 (much better than you'd think) with Dali Helicon 400 'speakers. 

Yes, it's worth a go. I feel I've been a bit critical to bring out the differences between it and similar components.  It will definitely suit many people.  If I had tone controls on my amp, it would be  a bit more of an obvious choice.  For me, it's making the point that in these days of varying sources which are of wildly different quality, tone controls are becoming more and more important.

I'm going to be using it for Chromecast duties at home and probably in the office when I move jobs at the end of the month.  The Chromecast does have tone controls.  The idea of using the Chromecast on battery is interesting - the Audioquest Jitterbug did make a difference.  Do you know how long the Chromecast works on battery?

Edited by HectorHughMunro

Super Wammer

I’ve not heard of a Chromecast with batteries. Mine has its own plugtop power supply. 

PS. Apologies, I didn’t see about external battery powerpack!

Edited by Nopiano
PS. added

A user on the Roon forum comments

"I have been using my Mojo being fed by CCA (Chromecast Audio) through a Supra ZAC toslink cable. As you can see, i use a battery pack to power the CCA. The battery is 10000 mAH. Lasts easily 4-5 days on a charge for me. No AC leakage, no SMPS ! Sounds good - certainly a very convenient endpoint."

Edited by JamieMcC
  • Like 3

Many of the most accomplished digital Hi-fi components tend to give a "warts and all" presentation which is great, if you only listen to stellar recordings. Creating a happy medium within your system is key. I really like Chord DACs, but with a bit of warmth added from the amp and speakers.

57 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

Many of the most accomplished digital Hi-fi components tend to give a "warts and all" presentation which is great, if you only listen to stellar recordings. Creating a happy medium within your system is key. I really like Chord DACs, but with a bit of warmth added from the amp and speakers.

If you can, try to listen to a DAC64 mk2.  It does about 80% of what the current range does but with warmth and weight. It’s one of the most usable DACs I’ve heard. Unfortunately it won’t play higher resolution music above 24/96.  

13 minutes ago, HectorHughMunro said:

with warmth and weight.

From a Chord DAC, I'd have to hear it to believe it.

Saying that the DAVE I heard had massive weight, in fact it was huge but I would put that in the warm category, but there is a lot going on with the DAVE, it could grow on me. As for the rest of them Ive heard so far, not for me :nup: