stupra

Radikal blue LED flashing in time with the beat

Just played some old 12" singles on the LP12 and noticed that the blue front led on the Radikal 'dims' in time with the beat/volume of the track, courtesy of 'Hit me with your rhythm stick' in effect a reverse "peak" meter. Doesn't do it on lp's, is there an overload somewhere?

Nothing to add (Moomintroll’s is a good suggestion though) beyond the fact that I’ve owned two Radikals - the original in the Majik case and the machined case. Neither joined in with the music!

Mick

On 30/08/2019 at 06:30, stupra said:

Just played some old 12" singles on the LP12 and noticed that the blue front led on the Radikal 'dims' in time with the beat/volume of the track, courtesy of 'Hit me with your rhythm stick' in effect a reverse "peak" meter. Doesn't do it on lp's, is there an overload somewhere?

Sounds like you bought the Disco edition of the Radikal

Maybe a lose connection for the LED and as ‘troll says, the vibrations causing the light to flicker?

Hello guys,

No, the system stands on a fully isolated rack and I noticed it whilst listening via headphones. 

As I say, on 12" singles with high output, I was wondering if the Radical was being overloaded by the high output from a 12" single. Antibody play 12" singles on an LP12?

When there's a strong beat, the front LED dims in time with it

I did ask recently about the settings of an Akiva in Konfig but still awaiting any feedback.

Surely it's just a Radikal protest at the indignity of being asked to play a 12" single ...

David

Edited by DavidHB

25 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

Surely it's just a Radikal protest at the indignity of being asked to play a 12" single ...

David

Hmm, helpful David. 

I asked for help and assistance, not having backhanded insults cast at me. If you said this as a joke, I haven't taken it so

Stu

1 hour ago, stupra said:

Anybody play 12" singles on an LP12?

Yes I do from time to time and I don't have this issue. Have you spoken to your dealer?

22 minutes ago, stupra said:

I asked for help and assistance, not having backhanded insults cast at me. If you said this as a joke, I haven't taken it so

My apologies. No offence at all was intended.

David

• Upvote 1

It is hard for anybody here to help as I doubt anybody else has seen the problem. Mine does not do that with the three 12 inch singles I have. If I were you I’d ask my dealer or mail Linn support. The flashing may indicate something such as it cannot maintain a stable speed, but that is my wild guess. Linn would know the real reason.

4 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

It is hard for anybody here to help as I doubt anybody else has seen the problem. Mine does not do that with the three 12 inch singles I have. If I were you I’d ask my dealer or mail Linn support. The flashing may indicate something such as it cannot maintain a stable speed, but that is my wild guess. Linn would know the real reason.

Hello Nestor,

Thank you for your reply. Last evening, I did email Linn helpline but Im still awaiting their reply. 

Stu

It appears that the Urika2 was clipping when playing 12" singles, according to Linn.

The gain set at the factory is slightly high and has been reduced in a software update for the Urika2. A check of mine has resolved the issue.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stupra said:

It appears that the Urika2 was clipping when playing 12" singles, according to Linn.

The gain set at the factory is slightly high and has been reduced in a software update for the Urika2. A check of mine has resolved the issue.

That’s good news. I should have thought about that - the Linto used to change its LED when it was driven to clipping, so it’s obviously a ‘theme’ on Linn phono stages.

Nice to know it’s not a loose connection as well.

Mick

5 hours ago, stupra said:

That's interesting. I have the gain on my Urika II set at 56 dB. Factory setting was 50 dB. I even tried maxing it at 62 dB. I never had a clipping problem, even at 62 dB.