Paulssurround

Naming Linn’s Soon To Be Released Wireless Products?

Apparently Linn will be releasing some new wireless HiFi products in the next 60 days.

Do you have any suggestions for naming these new products?

I can only assume Linn would be targeting a younger demographic, so I looked up a list of popular words commonly used by Millennials:

I would consider new Linn wireless streamers and speakers called:

Linn I’m Musik 

Linn Keep It 100

Linn Hi Key

Linn My Aesthetic

Linn My Musik

I'm sticking with Exklusiv (w/wo the e!)

If it really is a Kiko replacement, then Wiko? (for WiFi - see what I did there? :) )

Even better - the KiWi :)

Edited by timster

LinnK

• Like 1

The combination of name and styling will be more significant than the name alone. Linn's problem is not that its current products seem old fashioned or inappropriate to a new target market, but that they are largely invisible outside (and even to some extent within) the audiophile community. So they could, depending on what current products stay in the catalogue and where they 'pitch' the new product, actually use one of the existing names. I know that's a boring idea, but there you are.

I'm starting to wonder what will happen to the current Majik range of electronics. The reduction in the price of the MDSM, which both sealed the fate of the Kiko and sent a clear signal that there would be no Katalyst upgrade for the MDSM as we know it, prompts questions as to the future of the whole Majik line. For example, does Selekt indicate a progressive move over to Class D amplification, at least at the lower end of the price range? This would fit in with the fact that Linn see the likes of Devialet as serious competition, and might signal the demise of the x100 amps.

All in all, it's what's in the name, associated with the appearance and UX, rather than the just name itself, that matters.

David

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Music At Home said:

If it's going to be down with the kids, it's gonna be Well Wikked, innit?

Maybe for the older crowd, it could be called the Linn WTF (Wireless Transmission Frequencies). 😌

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

LinnK

I quite like LinKed myself?

But Linn better get it ‘right’? It’s a crowded marketplace, and any new product needs to stand-out...

• Like 3

19 hours ago, kelly200269 said:

I quite like LinKed myself?

But Linn better get it ‘right’? It’s a crowded marketplace, and any new product needs to stand-out...

I like the name LinKed as well, but wondering if it could be LinnKd.

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 1

Sorry, but I don't get the sense of this 'naming' question as 1. Nobody will know it, and 2. the naming is already chosen.

8 hours ago, Lorre said:

Sorry, but I don't get the sense of this 'naming' question as 1. Nobody will know it, and 2. the naming is already chosen.

Actually, I think Kelly’s suggestion is brilliant.

Who knows, Linn may adopt it.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lorre said:

It's just a bit of fun!

Edited by timster
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, timster said:

It's just a bit of fun!

True, but the name, when we do know it, will, in conjunction with the other characteristics of the product, give us some clues about Linn's current thinking.

David

31 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

True, but the name, when we do know it, will, in conjunction with the other characteristics of the product, give us some clues about Linn's current thinking.

David

Logically speaking that is so, names can give away the thinking in some respects. Many car makers prefer numbers to avoid such labelling. (Who thought of the Vauxhall "Adam"? WTF?)

So just for fun:

"Klimax" is obviously top of the range, nothing can go above that, it is the end of the line. Unless they name something Apex or Epitome or Zenith I think we are pretty safe there!

"Majik" is a bit too jokey to be taken as seriously as "Akurate". "Sneaky" was even jokier. "Sekrit" implies hidden away (and is a custom install - good name). "Kiko" sounds kooky. 5 Series is, well, just that. Means nothing.

"Selekt" on the other hand is pretty ambiguous in comparison. It sounds as though it should be higher up the chain than Majik, but could just as easily be thought of as higher than Akurate.

If this thing is to come in around the Kiko, and under the Selekt, it should be named appropriately. Or numbered (the 3 series)?