Tune

What has happened to real HiFi?

Real Hifi was bought by Real Men, who hit the table when resistance was met...and then bought another black box they didn't need.

We have now modernised and seen the light, by getting in touch with our Femine side.

Hifi is now a joint buying decision  where sanity and aesthetics rule.

....or is it?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Back in my student days, the main joint decisions amongst my fellow students on D floor were “Shall we have a smoke?” and “Dark Side Of The Moon?”

Occasionally they also spoke to my friend Jack.

Edited by Sotosound
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Tune said:

The Ongaku was a hand made work or art. I never heard one so cannot comment but you were paying for something rather special, the personal product of a sensei.

I spent a few hours with one at a friend's house. I know that it isn't, but it felt like a straight wire with gain in retrospect. Playing a good record, (blues) didn't feel like anything missing, or even, felt.like you could hear everything, and it sounded good and very involving. No veils, just a bit of hum.... very nice and haven't heard anything quite like it. Not sure I would like to own one, but it would be fun to make a kind of homage to one, one day.

£88k 20+ years ago iirc

Edited by dave

Super Dealer

There must be cheaper ways to generate hum.

Keith

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, forgot-my-id said:

beer and sex and chips and gravy

No change there then !!!

9 hours ago, wizmax said:

Yes I know, I heard it after travelling 184 bloody miles to my first bake off, I thought the Norweigen throat music was slightly preferable though.

What!! You walked 500 miles and then 500 more....

• Haha 1

The money that people used to spend on Hifi they are now spending on fancypants cars …….. seems like half the population are now driving either BMW , Audi, Mercedes or even more poser machines like Range Rovers.

Whilst I haven't got a problem with these cars per se (although I don't drive one) it seems to me that most people (at least in the Bristol area of UK) are far more concerned about what car they drive than what Hifi if any they own. As long as they look wealthy to their mates , doesn't matter that they don't have any actual money (or a pot to p*ss in ) to spend on anything else…. like hifi . Just my observation / opinion of course. Nothing wrong with having a nice car but I think this is where many people now prioritise their spending..... conspicuous consumption rather than a Hifi that no one other than family /close friends will ever see.

It's all about priorities …...  

Oh by the way, my Hifi is worth much more than my car :D

Am in our quiet house in Portugal so no hifi or tv. But I have a laptop playing Tidal via a Roland Mobile Cube and am having a blast using Track Radio. 

This is the same thread as the HiFi is dead thread with the same sort of answers. Music is far far more accessible and controllable for more people who are able to hear it in relative good quality for little money and great convenience. From an artist and listener perspective is a huge enhancement on what went before. 

The term Hifi was invented in the 1950s. HiFi playback systems are constantly being redefined. Get used to it. Most people do not have idler T/Ts, they moved on to DD and belts and the CD crowd on to streaming. It’s progress. It’s happening in cars and everything else. We don’t need a V8 that only puts out 158BHP anymore and we don’t need a load of huge heavy gear anymore.  But if that what you want then great. But these prevailing attitudes of ‘hifi is dead’ on forums actually turn off people who are just getting into music.

Of course hifi it’s self is fake and for those that really miss the ‘good old days’ need to get an Orchestra or band round to your house so that you can really experience ‘how music used to be’.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rayymondo said:

The money that people used to spend on Hifi they are now spending on fancypants cars …….. seems like half the population are now driving either BMW , Audi, Mercedes or even more poser machines like Range Rovers.

Whilst I haven't got a problem with these cars per se (although I don't drive one) it seems to me that most people (at least in the Bristol area of UK) are far more concerned about what car they drive than what Hifi if any they own. As long as they look wealthy to their mates , doesn't matter that they don't have any actual money (or a pot to p*ss in ) to spend on anything else…. like hifi . Just my observation / opinion of course. Nothing wrong with having a nice car but I think this is where many people now prioritise their spending..... conspicuous consumption rather than a Hifi that no one other than family /close friends will ever see.

It's all about priorities …...  

Oh by the way, my Hifi is worth much more than my car :D

The prevalence of so many quality cars is due to cheap financing. Ten years ago in Portugal hardly anyone had a good car and there were huge numbers of 20 and 30 year old cars on the road. Then cam low interest rates and 8 year financing. Now most cars are new. High end hifi companies need to come up with an equivalent financing model to give these products more accessibility.

15 minutes ago, DomT said:

The prevalence of so many quality cars is due to cheap financing. Ten years ago in Portugal hardly anyone had a good car and there were huge numbers of 20 and 30 year old cars on the road. Then cam low interest rates and 8 year financing. Now most cars are new. High end hifi companies need to come up with an equivalent financing model to give these products more accessibility.

Those are good points Dom, but I think most people see the flash car as a necessity and not a luxury (keeping up with appearances etc) while the Hifi is probably not so high on the list, especially if they can't really afford one...…. 

1 hour ago, Rayymondo said:

Those are good points Dom, but I think most people see the flash car as a necessity and not a luxury (keeping up with appearances etc) while the Hifi is probably not so high on the list, especially if they can't really afford one...…. 

I agree that we are in a show-off society. Those flash cars though are cheaper to finance than the ‘midrange’ ones. My brother has an Aston and he says that buying a car is all about the financing. Costs less than people think; even for the expensive stuff. 

3 hours ago, dave said:

I spent a few hours with one at a friend's house. I know that it isn't, but it felt like a straight wire with gain in retrospect. Playing a good record, (blues) didn't feel like anything missing, or even, felt.like you could hear everything, and it sounded good and very involving. No veils, just a bit of hum.... very nice and haven't heard anything quite like it. Not sure I would like to own one, but it would be fun to make a kind of homage to one, one day.

£88k 20+ years ago iirc

Scary but I can imagine that level of transparency - it simply sounds like you are in the room rather than outside listening in. I could only manage an IOJ with the cables and step up transformer and to be honest, most of my rips I think I did 

P1000498.thumb.JPG.46aff08181676ef12014f5f08578bfb4.JPG

The Lyra that I got - I'm posting this because it's stereotypically "racist" as Mishima San - who used to hand build all the top Lyras - was a very small chap. Lovely guy though.

DSC_3560_JPG-72.thumb.jpg.fd9fe212d4d57f0bbf65fed90f93a882.jpg

Posted (edited)

I see it like

- the real high end shit sounds awesome

- the basic stuff sounds 8/10th as awesome as the real high end shit.

- meanwhile you have what are basically scammers selling snakeoil like "buy this £2k powerlead" LOL

So what's the point of buying 50k of shit when you can just buy £700 of shit and it sounds as good as you are going to get?

Go to a hifi dealer and things sound awesome because the room is accoustically treated and everything is place properly, something you aren't going to get a home.

Furthermore most rich men have wives and most men are "betas" ie they will do what their wives tell them because they are scared of being divorced...they are emotionally invested in their relationships...the wives DGAF about sound so the husbands are never going to appreciate proper sound because their wives won't let them and they have no backbone even though in 90% of situations the husbands are paying for everything. My parents are a good example. The speakers sit behind their ears and the right speaker is far closer to the centre than the left to make room for some stupid flower arrangement...guess who designed this room?

- Or just spend 1k on headphones and a dac/amp and get the sound that a £50k system will get you.

It tends to be as the poster 2 above me states; more about showing off what you have (ironically 99% of these people have it on credit ie a bank owns it not them LOL) than the actual sound.

Edited by twoblacklines
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, that 10-20% takes your musical appreciation to a different place - if it is spent wisely and not on w*nk fi aimed at those who drive AMG -G6's.

• Upvote 1

the new shiny cars are all leased, usually as company cars. no-one in their right mind buys new, especially with his own money.

plenty of flash motors outside my local asda, a supermarket where one cannot buy shoe polish. Wal-Mart know their audience.

• Upvote 1

The real answer for all of us is to spend the money we are lucky enough to have on the things in life that give us the most pleasure.

For me, being enthralled listening to Sinatra at the Sands gives me more pleasure than driving a Porsche in British traffic with our drivers and speed limits.

Just experiment and find out what it is that gives you the best memories - don't follow the crowd or simply look to show off.

• Like 2