JMcQueen

Swapping Itch - Worth It?

I've currently got a Classe CP-800Mk2 and a CA-2100 (2x100) running purely digital from a PC. Speakers are Troels Graveson designed illuminator monitors with Scanspek drivers. 

I've had this system for about three years and broadly happy with it but inevitably I've got the itch to change. 

Currently looking at either a relatively sedate change and just upgrade the amp to somthing like a CA-2300 or M600 dual monos. OR

Go the whole hog and swap out for a new system. Currently thinking of a Benchmark DAC3 with AHB2. 

Does anyone think it'd be worth it or should I resist the urge? I know the logical answer is audition and see but I know what I'm like. If I start auditioning then I'll almost certainly end up buying :) 

Super Wammer

Some folk will love the effortless feel that a better amp gives; others will hear nothing!  

Its probably the least bang for the buck in your present set up, but if you’re now in huge room then it may be just what you need. 

A DAC is also tinkering imo, but plenty will tell you the night and day difference it’ll make.  Just borrow one!  

Did you move last year, and what areas do you feel need improvement?

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer

Swapping from one low distortion solid-state amp to another, will not in my opinion make much if any difference, provided your current amps are capable of driving your loudspeakers.

Loudspeakers and their inter action with the room are where the largest gains are to be found.

Keith

• Like 3

As above, make a list of what dissatisfied you AND a list of what you like best about your current system. If you go listening it's easy to hear what another set up does better, but takes time to know where the new compromises reside, and what you are losing.

Personally I'd look at room treatment first, it will be cheaper, more effective, and allow any future upgrades to be easier to assess. YMMV &c

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jazid said:

As above, make a list of what dissatisfied you AND a list of what you like best about your current system. If you go listening it's easy to hear what another set up does better, but takes time to know where the new compromises reside, and what you are losing.

Personally I'd look at room treatment first, it will be cheaper, more effective, and allow any future upgrades to be easier to assess. YMMV &c emoji16.png

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Couldn't have put it better. Don't risk throwing the baby out with the bathwater, make sure you know why you're thinking of changing before you start doing anything. 

• Haha 1

Thanks for the input everyone. Its not so much that there's anything I find 'wrong' with my system as such as the endless quest for something that sounds 'better'. That said, it is quite analytical and can be ruthless on poor quality recordings / low bit rate files but to some degree thats just symptomatic of 'rubbish in = rubbish out'. Find a well recorded source and its fine.  

Room treatment is an area where it can be improved. I did move and I'm now in a relatively small eaves room that is my home office (approx 3.4m x 2.5m) though there are some severe limitation on what can be achieved in such a space. I've been considering the use of DIRAC to help overcome some of the issues. 

I think I just wanted some reassurance that swapping wont make a significant enough difference to justify the expenditure as some people have been quite critical of the CP-800 saying that the DAC and preamp stage are quite poor. 

You have a superb amp and preamp .. in order to make a real step change in improved sound quality IMO you should consider changing your loudspeakers.  

Unfortunately thats not an option. They were handbuilt by my step-father (cabinet builder) and are way over built against Troels original design. There is the possibility I could move them to another room but not sure what would work better for the price (about a £3k build cost in parts). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JMcQueen said:

Unfortunately thats not an option. They were handbuilt by my step-father (cabinet builder) and are way over built against Troels original design. There is the possibility I could move them to another room but not sure what would work better for the price (about a £3k build cost in parts). 

If it sounds great then leave alone and try and solve the itch in other ways.  I did run a post on here about the itch - and the problem is we all get an itch to change things from time to tome - fortunately in my older years my head is firmly in the music and how it sounds.  So unless I hear something wrong - or I go to another mates house and hear something that sounds better (gauged on when I get home and switch on mine do I find something lacking I was hearing elsewhere).

I do understand your love affair with what you have and you ask what would work better for the same cost - I cannot answer that for you as we all have our own ideas of what sounds right.  So unless there are things about the sound you get that get in the way of listening to music then leave well alone.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like a great system.

My usual response is start at page one and forget about the hifi. See below

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/25446-what-are-you-listening-to-right-now/#comments

Edited by Lee M
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Lee M said:

Looks like a great system.

My usual response is start at page one and forget about the hifi. See below

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/25446-what-are-you-listening-to-right-now/#comments

And that sir, is the most level headed and sensible response of all :D

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This forum is a great community with a shared passion for hifi. I would recommend to do what I did - and continue to try to. Take a look at the member map and start reaching out to other Wammers that are fairly local to you. Go and listen to their systems and let them come and listen to yours. Everyone I have met so far has been unfailingly welcoming and keen to share their passion and experience. They might even bring a piece or two of kit over for you to try in your system- your speakers alone i’m sure will have people interested in how they perform. 

Keep any eye on bake off announcements too for the above x10.

Not only do you get to build your knowledge about what is possible, but you might make some new friends too.

I can’t see from your profile that you have told us where in the country you are. You never know, you might be just round the corner from me or any other number of fellow enthusiasts.

Edited by lostwin
Typo
  • Like 2