jas0_0

Proacs on open stands

1SCs need to be on very rigid, very high mass stands.

Either you change your speakers, or you change your........................:run:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

1SCs need to be on very rigid, very high mass stands.

Either you change your speakers, or you change your........................:run:

That sounds too much like "No Deal."

I'm sure that a deal can be done. :)

• Like 1

FS-104’s can be painted in any colour. If you message Paul at Custom Design and he will let you know. 

Ive used those stands with Vienna acoustics, Proac, Harbeth, Elac to name a few and they sound tight and accurate with everything I’ve used

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Good points there from @Sotosound. The 1SC have an excellent reputation but they won’t live up to it sonically unless they’re on the right stands.

This x 45- R1 or bust, or at least some super high mass stands....:geek:

stand.jpg.b95ba369af47ea1dde97264b9175fac8.jpg

pics of SlateAge custom stands as promised - these do look very much better in the flesh - they are also a bit dusty (the riven slate to the right is the edge of the hearth on which the woodburner sits - everything gets dusty..) - the height of these is closer to the R5s in order to bring the tweeters to the right height for my listening position & moderate lankiness (another critical consideration for 1SCs in my experience) - they consist of 6 separate sections held together with massive stainless bolts and captive nuts - the quality of the finish is excellent (Italian black slate is really lovely stuff) and they are very unlikely to blow away....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MotherSky said:

pics of SlateAge custom stands as promised - these do look very much better in the flesh - they are also a bit dusty (the riven slate to the right is the edge of the hearth on which the woodburner sits - everything gets dusty..) - the height of these is closer to the R5s in order to bring the tweeters to the right height for my listening position & moderate lankiness (another critical consideration for 1SCs in my experience) - they consist of 6 separate sections held together with massive stainless bolts and captive nuts - the quality of the finish is excellent (Italian black slate is really lovely stuff) and they are very unlikely to blow away....

if only they were pink...

• Haha 1

I've used the 1sc in the past with Partington Super dreadnoughts and they were OK. Sadly though the 1sc do need a good and HEAVY stand. Open frame will sound pants (as in the Epos/Linn Kan types). Custom Design FS104 Signatures might be OK, if you mass load all the tubes? You can spec them with chrome outside legs, which may make them more appealing? 

However rather than splashing out on new stands, have you considered changing the girlfriend instead?

With any standmount speakers, there will always be a compromise with looks and sound. Generally the uglier the better they sound 😜

What does your girlfriend think would look good?

Does she not really want speakers in the room, or does she think that there's a colour mismatch or incorrect proportions or what? It would be interesting, therefore, to hear about what she visualises and what she would like to see.

I personally think that Response 1SCs are very small speakers and that they look dwarfed by big stands and, as per my previous post, a big floorstander would look more elegant.

Having said that, there appear to be a lot of people who really love their Response 1SC speakers and wouldn't part with them for the world. Is this you, and does your girlfriend also appreciate how they sound?

Mine passed the wife test when we bought them 20 years ago,  probably due to size.  I think they can look quite elegant, and can sound huge.  Doubt I will ever change them.

IMG_20190829_171038246 - Copy (640x480).jpg

• Like 2

On 28/08/2019 at 14:33, radiant red said:

FS-104’s can be painted in any colour. If you message Paul at Custom Design and he will let you know. 

Ive used those stands with Vienna acoustics, Proac, Harbeth, Elac to name a few and they sound tight and accurate with everything I’ve used

Thanks - were these the non-signature versions?  Did you use them with the 1SCs - if so, how deep was the bass?

On 28/08/2019 at 19:08, MotherSky said:

These got an "Hmm, I don't love them, but maybe..."  which is the best reaction yet for high-mass stands.  Really might be onto something here!

12 hours ago, Tristan said:

rather than splashing out on new stands, have you considered changing the girlfriend instead?

I have a feeling that might be a lot more effort and expense!  

Though if she ever got wind of this conversation, the decision might be made for me...

• Haha 1