Sign in to follow this  
akamatsu

Klimax Radikal/Krystal vs. Akurate Radikal/Kandid

The rest of the LP12 is Keel, Ekos SE, and Urika II. I currently have the Akurate Radikal and Krystal.

I'd love to compare the two setups. Does anyone out there have some insight as to which would sound better?

I think changing the Radikal to the Klimax version  should be the next step.   I upgraded mine before i did the changing from Benz Ace Sl to Kandid. The Klimax Radikal was the bigger wow effect.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I agree with DB1328

• Like 2

I too agree with DB1328 & Tendaberry 

I did however have to make a slight deviation on the pathway having succumbed to having two faulty Krystals in a row with hundreds between in serial numbers so obviously not a batch thing.

But indeed I found the upgrade to a Klimax Radikal to be very worthwhile and a doddle to demonstrate.

I was left with the quandary about cartridges thinking of moving out of the Linn camp but decided to stay in but with the Lyra DNA.

All great now and remember listen for yourself improvements are only justified if you hear and enjoy them.:sofa:

• Like 1

While I have not done that exact comparison, I would agree with the consensus that the KR/Krystal would be more musical.  The Radikal is further up the hierarchy and therefore more musically important than the cartridge.  In my experience the hierarchy of a system has always proven true.  I did upgrade my Klimax LP12 from an Akurate Radikal to the Klimax version and found the difference quite worthwhile.  A friend of mine upon hearing a comparison of the two immediately ordered a KR and had me sell his AR for him.  He has been very happy with the upgrade.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I appreciate the feedback. It sounds like the Klimax Radikal could be a worthwhile upgrade. Of course, I will definitely audition this one before buying. I would hope for a decent trade-in allowance for my Akurate Radikal.

Also, having a Urika II would make the improvement even more profound over the upgrade on a deck without a Urika.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1

I kept my Akurate Radikal and upgraded from Krystal to Kandid and am delighted. Of course you should listen for yourself, but for the first time I was not convinced by the hierarchy. Also, I am yet to be convinced about the K Radikal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stuart.ashen said:

I kept my Akurate Radikal and upgraded from Krystal to Kandid and am delighted. Of course you should listen for yourself, but for the first time I was not convinced by the hierarchy. Also, I am yet to be convinced about the K Radikal.

I talked to three different Linn dealers and they all said the same thing; Krystal to Kandid would be a bigger improvement in sound quality. For the time being, I won't do anything. I'll wait until my Krystal wears out. But I do have a Woodsong plinth on order.

• Like 2

It appears that to upgrade from Akurate Radikal to Klimax Radikal isn't practicable. Since the Radikal comes with a motor, etc., One would be buying an expensive motor and not using it, or selling it. One could buy just the box without motor, but then the value of the used Akurate Radikal box would be diminished since the new owner would have to buy a motor.

One dealer suggested to just wait until a Radikal replacement (Radikal 2?) comes out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akamatsu said:

It appears that to upgrade from Akurate Radikal to Klimax Radikal isn't practicable. Since the Radikal comes with a motor, etc., One would be buying an expensive motor and not using it, or selling it. One could buy just the box without motor, but then the value of the used Akurate Radikal box would be diminished since the new owner would have to buy a motor.

One dealer suggested to just wait until a Radikal replacement (Radikal 2?) comes out.

I moved from Akurate to Klimax Radikal - my dealer took the old kit in part exchange. Might be worth trying a few dealers to see if any would offer a similar service.

Mick

• Like 1

Good Afternoon All,

IMHO the dealers need to get on to Linn and get them to be more flexible wrt upgrading from Akurate to Klimax Radikal, it is only the fancy and grossly overpriced CNC machined aluminium box that differentiates them? You should be able to send the Akurate box back to the factory and get a Klimax in exchange???? 

Given Linn's much heralded upgradeability this seems obvious?

Regards

Richard

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 08/09/2019 at 14:55, akamatsu said:

Since the only way to buy a Radikal is complete with motor, sensor, switch, etc., it also means that the only way to sell a used one is with all those parts.  So when someone upgrades from Akurate to Klimax Radikal they would receive all the parts and would trade-in or sell a complete set of parts.  Right now that is the only option, but I do agree with linesrg that Linn should offer an upgrade of the casework, it would be simple to do as the labor involved is relatively minimal.  Since the cost difference between the two is relatively close to the cost of Klimax casework you would think the upgrade cost should be pretty reasonable.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this