Paulssurround

How Do You Decide What Your Next Upgrade Or Tweak Will Be?

However, I have from many people in Europe that get charged a lot extra for setup, and installation.

Living on an island (so ferry costs and journey times are an issue both for me and for my dealer), I prefer to negotiate an arrangement where the setup costs are explicitly stated in the quote, so that the dealer quotes equipment prices on that basis (obviously, I prefer second hand or ex demo where possible). The setup cost then becomes part of a package offer by the dealer, and I have no complaints about his package prices.

David

Living on an island (so ferry costs and journey times are an issue both for me and for my dealer), I prefer to negotiate an arrangement where the setup costs are explicitly stated in the quote, so that the dealer quotes equipment prices on that basis (obviously, I prefer second hand or ex demo where possible). The setup cost then becomes part of a package offer by the dealer, and I have no complaints about his package prices.

David

You have an exceptional dealer, Chris from Hidden Systems.

Well worth the costs to have him visit  :)

You have an exceptional dealer, Chris from Hidden Systems.

Well worth the costs to have him visit  :)

Well, I definitely think so. Chris is now very much my 'go to' person for Hi-fi, and I have been happy to recommend him to a number of other people. That said, there are a number of good Linn dealers here in the UK, and it is only fair to give each one their proper due.

David

Sometimes an upgrade can be a spur of the moment purchase or a moment of weakness when the marketing works. I received a Russ Andrews brochure in the post yesterday which contained a voucher for £75 off. In the brochure was an X6 power bar that I took a shine to. I quickly googled some reviews that were all positive and with a few taps on the old iPad it is on its way.

Impulsive? Gullible? Frivolous? Stupid? Yes, probably. 

Planned? Well researched? No.

Happy? I will let you know when it arrives.

Super Wammer

Sometimes an upgrade can be a spur of the moment purchase or a moment of weakness when the marketing works. I received a Russ Andrews brochure in the post yesterday which contained a voucher for £75 off. In the brochure was an X6 power bar that I took a shine to. I quickly googled some reviews that were all positive and with a few taps on the old iPad it is on its way.

Impulsive? Gullible? Frivolous? Stupid? Yes, probably. 

Planned? Well researched? No.

Happy? I will let you know when it arrives.

I have the more modest RA Powerbar as I needed eight sockets at the time. It’s very solidly made and has been totally dependable.  Can’t say I was inclined to audition it versus a supermarket equivalent, but at least I feel confident it’s not a weak link.  

Will be interested how you get on, though will be surprised if you’re not delighted.  Risk free too, with his return option. 

• Like 1

Planned no, but probably aspired to for some time. Research was done by Russ, and my Googling, same as yours, returned the first two hits saying you're probably safe. I hope you got a good cord to feed it. I'm still lurking at used cable for my last needed one.

Upgraditis got me again. Dealer brought my new Akurate Exaktbox I, today. Quite nice. Running it in now.

• Like 1

Upgraditis got me again. Dealer brought my new Akurate Exaktbox I, today. Quite nice. Running it in now.

It is going to take a while before it sings for you, at least 10-15 hours :) Then Nirvana !!

It is going to take a while before it sings for you, at least 10-15 hours :) Then Nirvana !!

Thanks for that. It sounds great but there was no great revelation from my m4100. 
as a bonus it is a physically beautiful piece of equipment as well. 

as an aside, cancer and woman trouble helped me decide that life was too short not to enjoy. Upgraditis was directly linked to those thoughts 🤪

• Like 1

The first hours for me was disappointing, but suddenly !! after maybe 2 or 3 hours the first harshness whent away and the distorsion was long gone, Its going to sound better and better, I cant still belive my ears :) Katalyst for me is timing and wonderfull blackines between the instruments and tones :)