Paulssurround

How Do You Decide What Your Next Upgrade Or Tweak Will Be?

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, timster said:

Really? I'll keep that in mind but only 80W? I'd also need two though, a bit of a drawback cost-wise and if I want to keep one of Majiks for surround in the future. But when it comes to it I'll ask for an audition.

Don't worry about the output power, just listen :)

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Don't worry about the output power, just listen :)

Aye aye cap'n! <where's the :salute: emoji? :)>

The need for 2 does concern me though.

Posted (edited)
On 29/08/2019 at 08:01, timster said:

Really? I'll keep that in mind but only 80W? I'd also need two though, a bit of a drawback cost-wise and if I want to keep one of Majiks for surround in the future. But when it comes to it I'll ask for an audition.

I’m very wary of Naim boxes. I’m much happier with Linn.

Naim boxes have noisy linear power supplies with transformers, which need powering on day and night. Result for me was glowing green lights and continuous loud buzz (from the kit, not through speakers). You can reduce the buzz with a DC blocker, but it got too much for me, especially when the SuperLine picked up radio stations. Naim maintains its power amps only go with its pre-amps.

I have heard very good Naim systems, but Naim didn’t work well for me. My dealer worked hard to remedy the problems and came up with a final solution: why not try Linn - I did and now I’m very happy. That’s only my experience and you may find, with Kudos speakers, Naim works for you: I wouldn’t know as I use Spendor loudspeakers. So If you do go the Naim route then extended home audition is essential. As a piece of Naim kit that sounded wonderful at my dealer’s was problematic in my home. Contrariwise, a Naim piece that gave me problems, may sound superb in your home. The higher up the range you go, the more boxes and the greater the potential problems. So it may work and you’ll be ecstatic, but ... 

Edited by Nestor Turton

I don't know what's wrong  with me .... I just keep buying and playing records .

When will I change something in my system ?  When it finally breaks and can't be mended.

[ The only thing on my horizon is having one of my old Arkiv Bs rebuilt by David at Goldring when my  K18 starts running out of steam. ]

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Smokestack said:

When will I change something in my system ?  When it finally breaks and can't be mended.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach, or with you for adopting it. It was, in effect, the approach I had with the Quad-based system that I had for over 20 years.

My reason for moving on was, essentially, getting into streaming. I had 'done' both computers and hi-fi for most of my life, but had never brought the two together until, six years ago, I bought an ADSM/0 and started to rip my CD collection. This, in effect, set a new SQ standard for my system just when the technology was evolving quite rapidly, and, before I knew it, i was on a journey (not that I saw it that way at first) to find a new point of balance that made possible upgrades seem irrelevant. I believe and hope that I have now reached that point. My possible purchase of, or share in, an RCM is to enable me to enjoy what I already have that much more.

And the Quad system? I gave it to a friend, whose young children and London mortgage made decent Hi-Fi unaffordable. His brother visited me the other day, and told me that the system is still going strong and it's owner loves it.

David

Edited by DavidHB

To be honest David , It's all academic as I wouldn't be able to afford  any significant upgrades anyway.

That said ... I'm still very happy with the system and the musical enjoyment it provides...so whilst ever it remains unbroken...It doesn't need fixing :D 

15 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

It's all academic as I wouldn't be able to afford  any significant upgrades anyway

Well, you could dream. But it seems that you neither want or need to, and that's the point.

David

Whats my approach?

My approach changed over the time. First, I was also looking for the cables and the vibration suspension and the room. I even tried to build my own hifi electronics. However, in those times I learned , in particularly with respect to the optimization of loudspeakers : it is hard to find a satisfying result. Instead there is a moment in time at which you will be sure that your loudspeaker or system must be near to perfect (no matter whether it is objectively ), simply to justify the effort to oneself. So I stopped trying to improve my hifi system by own parts.

Next phase was looking throughout the world of hifi provider. However, I realized after some time that it needs a lot of effort, too, to find something better than Linn. So, after visiting a hifi triad fare, I decided to simply stay within the Linn world. To my experience, Linn has a good price-performance relation, also due to the concept of offering upgrades which allow improvements without buying complete devices.

Now I am in the end game of keeping my eyes open for opportunities to purchase klimax pieces second hand (new would be nice but too extensive). I am lucky to have found even a KEBOX (kat) in the meantime.

Another thing I have learned throughout the years is that it depends on one's own taste and in particular on one's habituation, I.e. to what one is used to, if something is recognised as improvement.

The best is when a completely uninvolved person realizes an improvement. Once, I changed an amplifier of my hifi chain and my wife was in another room. When trying the new chain, she could not concentrate on what she has done anymore and immediately asked what I did. A great moment beyond imagination.

• Like 1

I have no say in the next tweek / upgrade :(

I first look in my bank account and that decides for me :nerves:

• Like 1