Jules_S

Bananas, Spades or Nude?

2 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I have had 13 amp plugs where the mains wires were soldered before clamping and over the years the clamping becomes loose. 

That's a general problem with screw clamped joints - the screws can and do loosen over time due to thermal expansion and contraction - and not just with soldered wires. It can happen with your mains sockets too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Interestingly (and some will almost certainly shout "heresy" at this point), this is a major point in favour of shoving bare wires into (well designed) spring clamp terminals rather than screw terminals, because once the wire is in and properly clamped, it ain't going to come loose.

I think the key point is "well designed" together with well made.  so often its not the technique used that matters, its how well its been done.

Super Wammer

My favourite is using soldered spade terminals but only with the Furutech FT-809 binding posts that come on my Pass Labs amplifier. All others seem to work loose.

Apart from that I use soldered banana plugs.

I'm a banana type of guy, I use some heavy duty Nakamichi plugs that use grub screws to pinch the cables, they also have insulated outers just in case of sausage finger incidents.